Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Thursday 22 December 2016

Saturday 23rd December 1916


Winnipeg Camp
The Battalion began their return to the front line. They marched first to Vlamertinghe, where they boarded a train, along with 8th Yorks, at 4.24pm. Having completed the short journey back into Ypres they met their guides at the Lille Gate at 4.45pm and were led to their positions in the front line, relieving 11th Northumberland Fusilers in positions from I.24.d.7.1½. to I.30.a.4.0. The relief was completed about 9.45 pm with three companies in the lines just east of Armagh Wood and the fourth in support at Rudkin House.



There was a marked improvement in the weather following the gale-force winds of the previous day; according to Brig. Genl. Lambert, commanding 69th Brigade (see passim) “It was a regular Spring Day and quite charming”. However, heavy rain and strong winds returned overnight 23rd/24th.

(I am greatly indebted to Juliet Lambert for her generosity in allowing me to reproduce extracts from Brig. Genl. Lambert’s letters).
Less than three weeks after re-joining the Battalion following a two-month stay in hospital, Pte. Harry Simpson (see 6th December) reported sick, again suffering from “ICT” (inflammation of the connective tissue), on this occasion affecting his legs; he was again admitted to hospital.
 
Pte. William Hissett (see 25th April), serving in France with 9DWR, was admitted to 5th General Hospital at Rouen, suffering from “P.U.O” (pyrexia, or high temperature, of unknown origin). After eight days he would be transferred to 2nd Concalescent Depot, also at Rouen, before being further transferred, on 6th January, to 34th Infantry Base Depot at Etaples.

2Lt. Maurice Tribe MC (see 14th November), who had been severely injured at Le Sars, wrote to the War Office from Watermouth Castle, an officer’s convalescent home near Ilfracombe, Devon. He confirmed that he had been wounded on 5th October 1916 and requested that they ‘be good enough to send particulars of any wound gratuities to which I may be entitled having had my left eye removed and a wound in my skull’.  

2Lt. Bob Perks, DSO (see 10th December), serving with 3DWR at North Shields, wrote to his Father, with further news about his health. It appears that, whilst on leave at home recently, Perks’ Mother had raised concerns about her son’s health. After concerns had been raised about his fitness he had been assessed by a Medical Board which had declared him fit for home service, with a further review in a month’s time:
My Dear Dad

I am in faint hopes this will wish you anything on Christmas day but it wishes you every happiness on every day.

After an extraordinary six weeks of changes for my future I am now fixed till Jan 19 (my next board) and almost sure to be in England till end of next month at least and should have another leave before I go out.  Moreover, though I never believe anything now till it happens, I am in orders to go to Otley on Jan 4 for a fortnight’s course.  Whether the present leave restrictions will allow the weekend leaves to you otherwise possible I don’t know. I fear not and the next possibility is paying my own fare for a Sunday but you and your station master pals know more than I do whether with the new railway ideas will allow that.  By the way, old Lloyd George is getting a move on isn’t he?! Does the national service stunt look like affecting you?  I wonder about Martin (Bob’s brother, who had originally been rejected for a commission on account of his eyesight).  I expect he will find himself in a govt. office, though the children must be educated I suppose.

You will be interested to know that in my opinion the medical board gave me my home service because I had the D.S.O. They were awfully bucked about it and asked how long I was out etc. etc.  Especially where was I last Christmas.  After a lot of “humming and hawing” they were still too honest to say my heart was bad but persuaded themselves that as both my regimental doctor and home doctor had thought they heard something and did not appear too well (which was hardly likely as I had been correcting “Little Mary” by starvation treatment!) a month at home might be advisable.
Here I am and v pleased too.  Again best wishes Dad

Your son Bob

My very best wishes to Miss Johnson

(I am greatly indebted to Janet Hudson for her kind permission to quote from Bob Perks’ correspondence).

 
2Lt. Bob Perks DSO
Image by kind permission of Janet Hudson


Sgt. Frederick Griggs MM (see 13th  December), who had been one of Tunstill’s original Company but was now serving with 2DWR, re-joined his Battalion after ten days’ leave in England.




No comments:

Post a Comment