Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Monday 9 November 2015

Wednesday 10th November 1915

Front line trenches near Fauquissart.

After eight days in the front line the Battalion was relieved by 10th King’s Royal Rifles. The relief took place in daylight and brought down German shelling. Lt. Dick Bolton  (see 7th November) remembered the hazardous nature of the relief, as caused by the recent rain, “The chief drawback to the place was the fact that all communication trenches were full of water, which necessitated daylight reliefs of the front line, up a road. It is hardly surprising that the Boche shelled the road on these occasions”. Cpl. Norman Roberts (see 5th November), writing next day, also reflected on the dangers of the relief, “We have left the firing line and I am writing this in a dug-out in the reserve trenches. We have been in one or two pretty hot shops … One or two of our lot have been bowled over and the regiment relieving us had several casualties whilst they were coming in. As we were stood in the trenches ready to move out a shell came and burst a yard or so away. Talks about two minds with but a single thought, we all ducked like one man. It was a dirty shrapnel shell and lumps ripped over our heads, breaking and snapping the branches of trees in their journey. However, we got out of it this time round.” 



One man, Pte. Norman Lancelot Young (see 11th September), was killed; he would be buried at Rue-du-Bacquerot (13th London) Graveyard, Laventie.
Pte. Norman Lancelot Young
Pte. Fred Richmond, was wounded; he suffered serious shrapnel injuries to his face, neck and right shoulder and was sent to 11 General Hospital, Boulogne, to be treated.
Fred Richmond had enlisted, aged 31, on 19th September 1914 and had been among the Keighley volunteers posted to join Tunstill’s Company. He had been working as a labourer and had been living with his married brother, Robert, and his nine children in Thwaites Lane, Keighley. Fred had previously served a total of eight years in the territorials.
On completion of the relief, the Battalion marched two miles back to billets in Laventie.


Clearly relieved at being out of the line Pte. William Knox (see 5th November) penned a brief letter to his wife, Ethel. (I am most grateful to Rachael Broadhead and family for allowing me access to William’s letters).

“... I can tell you we have had a jolly hard time of it. We are out of the trenches once more and I am not sorry. I am just about done up. My feet are so bad with having them wet all the time. We had a shock last night, Tuesday, about 2.30 a German shell burst about a yard away from our dugout and it set it on fire. I lost all my clothes except my trousers and overcoat. I took my jacket off to make a pillow out of and in my hurry to get out I forgot all about it. I could have cried when I did think about it for my wallet with your photo, and Grace’s and Kiddie’s also, got burnt. As well it has made me feel very downhearted, not so much about the wallet, but it is your photo that I didn’t like losing. If you have another one to spare let me have it will you Dear. I am only writing a small letter this time. Will write you ever such a long one on Thursday. I am on guard at Lavantie. I must now close with fondest love and kisses.

PS I just got a small burn on my knee.
Let me know if they censor anything in this letter”.

Cpl. Wilfred Fletcher (see 7th October) was admitted via 60th Field Ambulance to 23rd Division Rest Station; he was suffering from ‘trench foot’ and would re-join the Battalion after five days.

No comments:

Post a Comment