Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Tuesday 24 November 2015

Thursday 25th November 1915

Jesus Farm, Erquinghem

According to the Brigade War Diary the day was spent, “Settling into and improving billets. Preparing programme of training”.
The first round of leave to England began, as J.B. Priestley had anticipated in a letter to his family (see 7th November); four men from 69th Field Ambulance were noted as having been the first to depart. 


With more time available, Pte. William Knox (see 21st November) wrote a long letter home to his wife, Ethel. (I am most grateful to Rachael Broadhead and family for allowing me access to William’s letters).

My Dearest Ethel

I now sit down and write you a few lines hoping they will find you quite well as I am very pleased to say that it leaves me very well at present, excepting for a bad cold which I think we have all got out here as it is so very cold. We have come out of the trenches again. Came out on Wednesday night. We had a decent time of it this time as we had a lot better arrangements and we got plenty of sleep as we had plenty of good dugouts and they made a very great difference. We lost over eighty men this time, nearly all of them in one day, but only 12 in our Company. It is an awful sight to see men fall down after they have just been shot. Two of us were on sentry in the same bay and one chap was hit by a sniper and killed straight out. He never even moaned once. We buried him during the night just behind the firing line. We have had plenty of that sort of work. We buried 15 all in one day and the Parson was there. All they were wrapped in were just a blanket each and four in a grave.

Well Dear Love we have started coming home on leave but at the rate they sent them this week it will take us just about two years to go right through the whole Battalion so you must not expect seeing me just yet. But married men are to go first so that will make a lot of difference. We are going right back away from the firing line for a month’s rest so they say. I hope it is true then we shall be able to spend Xmas very well. I wish I was going to be with you. It would be quite a change wouldn’t it Love. I am getting a little bit downhearted now. I am always thinking about my own Sweet Precious Darling at home, wondering what she is doing. I wish I could see you once more Love. It is awful being out here when the one you love so much is waiting for you all along. I know the suspense must be awful for you Darling but be a brave old sweetheart and we must trust to God to bring me safely through this awful war.

The shells are bursting over my head while I am writing this. They are ours but I expect we shall soon be having some back in returns, but while they send one we can send ten. They are making a lot of talk about being short of ammunition but we are a jolly sight better off than the Germans. They are using shells made as late on as October 1915 so they must be getting very low down with their old stock.

They gave us a very hot time last Thursday morning at Armentieres where we were billeted. They had a bust up for they sent over six hundred shells but half of them were what we call duds, as they never exploded. But on Friday our artillery gave them hell. They dropped shell upon shell on their parapet and we could see sandbags flying right up in the air and I expect a few Boshes as well. I saw a few on the parapet this time. We had another try to catch their patrol last Sunday night but they never came out or else it would have been God help them as we were going to give the devils a few bombs. I expect you would see it in the papers about the Canadians making a surprise attack and when they got to the German trenches they gave themselves up. They absolutely refused to fight so you may guess what is up with them. They are just about fed up of it all. Over 800 gave themselves up and we have been in the same lot of trenches as the Canadians were in; we relieved them.

I should just like you to see me just now. I look just like the Eskimo. You would kill yourself with laughing. We have all got skin coats on. I have got a black one and I don’t know but I think it is a goat skin by the smell of it and it is very high with it. It has a lot of black hair on it but they are very warm Just what we want out here but it is something to keep our feet warm. I have not known what it is to have warm feet now for over three weeks. They are always like a slab of ice. You wouldn’t half rave at me if I was in bed with you and I put them on your legs.

I received your parcel quite safe and thank you so very much for it. The cake is A1. It is so good I could eat the lot. You need not send me any more candles or soap until I tell you Dear as I have got 18 candles and 5 tablets of soap. The Stores sent me a dozen so they will last me a long time. I am on guard now so I am going to have the sardines for my tea. Ask Wings if she remembers having to share the tin of sardines between five of us.

The stoves that you sent me are no good Dear. I put about a pint of water in my canteen and it was done for before I got the water boiled, so don’t send any more Dear as it is a waste of money. None of our chaps will use them. It only burnt about five minutes. Do not send any more cheese as we get tons of it every day. You will begin to think that I am grumbling about my parcel but it is no good you sending what is not needed is it Dear. (I hope you are not vexed over it, as though you would be). Tell Lizzie her Scotch was very nice; the coconut makes it taste grand.

Where we are now is just close to a village but nobody lives there now. The houses are all knocked down. It is a shame and there is ever such a lot of beautiful furniture in some of the houses but nobody is allowed in the houses as they are liable to be shot for looting and they are very strict in that out here. I nearly forgot to thank you for your photograph. I have nearly kissed it all away. It made tears come when I saw it. It made me feel very downhearted. I do wish the war was over so I could get back to you and get settled down in a home of our own. I bet you I will never part from you again in a hurry, but still I am only doing my duty and when it is all over I shall be able to say that I done my little bit with a good heart.

I have had one Christmas Box already. It was from the Daily Chronicle. You will have seen in the paper that they were going to give a parcel to the troops. And what do you think we got? One cigarette and one sweet each man. So you know we did not make a beast of ourselves. I changed my cigarette for a sweet. No Dear I have not got a moustache now and another thing is I have got that curl again; just as it used to be before. So you know now that I am getting quite a Knut out here. I am going to have my photograph taken while I am out of the trenches if I can find a place. Then I will give it to one of our chaps home on pass to post it for me. So if you receive a letter from anyone don’t be surprised.

I shall have to knock off for a little while as I am just going to do an hour’s sentry go and then have my tea.

I will now try and finish this small letter.

I have just finished my hour’s sentry go and am off for two hours now. I have enjoyed my sardines. They were extra. I can’t send you one or else I would. You said in your last letter that you had not received my long letter up to last Thursday. Didn’t you receive a letter in a green envelope the day after I sent you those cards? But I think you would receive one either Monday or Tuesday. It is a job to write while we are in the firing line especially just now as there is plenty of work to keep the parapets in anything like condition. Yes Dear I will wear that body belt that you made me. I have worn one now ever since I came out of the trenches the first time. But they were flannel ones and they issued them out to us. How is it that you set about to do any knitting, for I know you are not so very fond of the job?

You say you want some more of those silk postcards. I will send you two more when I get to a place where I can buy them. But you must wait until I get my photograph taken in my Teddy bear coat, I tell you what, I look like a great big old black tom cat. My knee has got quite better now Dear. It has not left a mark at all. Yes it was a very lucky escape. If it had been one of their high explosive shells we should have been blown to pieces. Old Franks was in the same dugout and you would laugh to hear him telling people about it. He is as nervous as a kitten. He has gone to the Bomb School to learn bomb throwing.

You said you were anxious to know how we go on for a crap. It is damn rotten as they often send a shell or two over every day. They seem to know where the latrines are and they put a good many bullets in them. They have caught a good many bending.

The letter case is very good. You are getting quite a genius aren’t you Dear? I have just received your letter and also papers. I am very sorry to hear that you are not very well but hope that you are better by now. You tell me not to worry about it Dear but how can I help it when you are more precious than all the world to me.

PS You might send me some envelopes in your next parcel; about a dozen at a time. I have plenty of writing paper.
Goodnight and God bless and keep you safe.

Cpl. Thomas Walsh (see 1st October) who had been wounded two months earlier and been undergoing hospital treatment in England was posted to 11th (Reserve) Battalion, DWR at Brocton Camp on Cannock Chase. 
William George Wade signed his attestation papers at Newcastle-on-Tyne to join the Army Cyclist Corps; he would later be commissioned into 10DWR and would serve as a Lieutenant with ‘A’ Company.  He was 28 years old when he volunteered and had been born in Norfolk. However, the family had moved to Northumberland, where William’s father, James, worked a coal miner. William himself had qualified as a schoolmaster at Durham University School of Education and had been working at Weetslade council elementary school, not far from the family home at Seaton Burn. 

Pte. Thomas Farley Seaman was formally discharged from the Army under King’s Regulations 392, vi, on account of “having made a mis-statement as to age on enlistment”. He had enslisted in September 1915, aged only 15 (born 25th December 1898). He had been posted to France with the Battalion in August 1915 but, in the absence of a surviving service record, the exact sequence of events leading to his discharge is unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment