Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Friday 27 November 2015

Sunday 28th November 1915

Jesus Farm, Erquinghem

The extreme cold of the previous few days intensified even further, with the Battalion War Diary referring to ‘twenty degrees of frost', (which is equivalent to 12oF or -11oC). The men were issued with ‘fur jackets’ to help combat the conditions.

This postcard image of a man wearing one of the fur jackets issued in the Winter of 1915-16 was preserved in the album kept by Geraldine Tunstill. The identity of the soldier is unknown, but it should be noted that the image was taken by Horner & Sons photographers of Settle. For more information on the photographers, see http://www.northcravenheritage.org.uk/nchtjournal/Journals/2005/Horners/horners.html
 
Pte. John William Smith (11986) departed for England on one week’s leave; he was a 43 year-old builder’s labourer from Addingham and was married but had no children.


Pte. William Knox (see 25th November) again wrote to his wife, Ethel, apparently somewhat underplaying the current extreme cold (I am most grateful to Rachael Broadhead and family for allowing me access to William’s letters).

“I hope these few lines will find you quite well as I am very pleased to say that it leaves me very well at present. My cold is a lot better than what it was. We are having it very cold out here just now. It was snowing a bit on Friday but I suppose you had a heavy snowfall in England. We are still out of the trenches as yet and expect to be out another week before we go into the firing line again.

Did that gas explosion do very much damage? Poor old Mrs. Airey would not half get a shock. She would think that the Zeppelins had come to Sheffield.

I have just received your parcel and thank you so very much for it. The cake is extra. I will write to Mitchells as soon as I receive the other stuff as you asked me to do. I was very pleased to hear that you were a lot better. Yes Dear I take nearly all the parcels into the trenches with me as you can always buy something to eat when you are in billets. I shall have to be careful what I put in Joe’s letters in future if he sends them home for you to read. I am very pleased to hear that he has got into the wheelwright’s shop because it will keep him in England. I hope he never has to come out here. He will be alright getting a pass every month. I think I shall have to put in a weekend pass shan’t I Dear?

Fancy Edith Mitchell wanting to go into munitions work. Not much difference to typewriting. If anyone else tells you that you ought to be making shells just tell them that you have got someone who is out here and instead of making shells he may have to stop them. If people would only mind their own business it would look better of them.

We have been pitching some canvas tents this afternoon while ours get replaced so I expect it will be pretty cold but they have issued us with another blanket so it will be a lot warmer than with one”.

No comments:

Post a Comment