Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Monday 28 March 2016

Wednesday 29th March 1916

Billets at Sains-en-Gohelle (Coron Fosse 10)

Again a quiet day, with working parties found. Orders were received that the Battalion would, next day, relieve 9th Yorkshires in the front line positions which they had vacated on 25th March.

J.B. Priestley wrote home to his family, with news of a recent bout of illness which he had suffered (a number of Tunstill’s Company had suffered from similar bouts of illness, and doubtless similar treatment regime; for example, Pte. Tom Darwin, for whom see 28th March): “Though I’ve not said anything to you, I’ve been unwell for some time; I’ve kept going to see the doctor, & he’s kept giving me odd pills & excusing me from duty. Finally, last week, he sent me to hospital. I was at the Field Ambulance for four days, in bed all the time, pulse and temperature taken twice at day etc. etc. Then they moved me on to the Divisional Rest Section; a large Hospital-cum-Convalescent Home, where I am at the present moment. This is the first day I’ve been allowed to get up, & I’m feeling much better. I’ve had no letters or parcels forwarded from my regiment yet, so if you’ve sent anything, you’ll know why I haven’t replied”.
Pte. J.B. Priestley

Pte. Albert Bateson (see 9th March), who had been wounded three weeks previously, was evacuated to England; the details of his treatment in England are unknown.

L.Sgt. Cyril Edward Agar, serving with 9th Yorkshires, was admitted to Scarborough Military Hospital whilst home on leave from France; the nature of his illness is not known but he would remain in hospital for the next six weeks. Cyril Edward Agar was born 15th March 1890, the seventh of twelve children of Thomas and Charlotte Agar; his father was a grocer and corn dealer in Scarborough. Cyril had been working as a clerk (most likely in the family business) before enlisting on 11th November 1914. He had been posted to 9th Yorkshires and had been successively promoted Lance Corporal (January 1915), Corporal (April 1915) and Lance Sergeant (October 1915). He would subsequently be commissioned and join 10DWR as one of the officers of ‘A’ Company.

Cyril Edward Agar, pictured later in the war, in his officer's uniform.
Image by kind permission of Henry Bolton.

No comments:

Post a Comment