Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Sunday 16 June 2019

Tuesday 17th June 1919

Pte. John Henshall (see 24th April), who had been transferred to the Army Reserve Class Z in April after serving in India with 1DWR, re-enlisted in Leeds and was posted to 3DWR.

Pte. Ernest Jones (see 3rd June), who had been in England since having been wounded in October 1918, was married to Emily Dean at the Register Office in Bradford; there had clearly been a change of date and venue after Pte. Jones had appealed for permission to marry two weeks previously.

Ann Eliza Debenham, grandmother and legatee of the late Pte. Leonard Watling (see 22nd May 1918), who had died of wounds on 17th October 1917, wrote to the War Office regarding the form which she had received asking for details of Pte. Watling’s family: “I am returning the form that I received. I have filled it in as much as the space will allow. Owing to such a large family there is not space enough to write down all the aunts and uncles and nephews and nieces of the soldier. If you should require them all I shall write them down on paper and send them to you. I am his grandmother that brought him up from a baby. His mother never married his father and she could not give him a home. He always referred to me as mother and wrote to me as mother and made me allowances of 2s. 4d. per week. I am just sending you a letter or two so you will see he always lived with me”.

No comments:

Post a Comment