Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Monday 20 May 2019

Wednesday 21st May 1919


Major Lewis Ernest Buchanan (see 2nd October 1916) former 2IC of 10DWR, who had been serving in England since 1916, was promoted Lieutenant Colonel and President of an Area Quartering Committee.

Pte. Robert Ellis Clayton (see 22nd March), who had been recently transferred to the Army Reserve Class Z, re-enlisted, joining the Labour Corps.

In reponse to a recent request from the War Office, 2Lt. Keith Sagar Bain MC (see 19th May) submitted his written statement regarding raid on the Asiago Plateau in August 1918 in the course of which 2Lt. Alfred Ernest Pass (known as ‘Alf’) (see 4th May) had been killed. 
“In the raid carried out by the 10th Battalion Duke of Wellington’s Regiment on August 26th 1918 my Company had the right front of the Battalion of which my platoon was the left. Behind me followed No.6 Platoon under the command of 2Lt. A.E. Pass. I spoke a few words to Mr. Pass a few minutes before Zero, 11pm (sic.). I saw nothing more of him until our work was nearing completion about twenty minutes later when I ordered the few remaining men with me to evacuate the position we held at the Railway Cutting at “Post Spur”. It was as the last few men were scrambling up the embankment and as I looked round to see if all the men were clear, that I saw one figure slip back. I stopped the last man near me, Pte. Northrop (Pte. William Northrop, see 28th February), afterwards killed, to help me if required. The figure I recognised as the late 2Lt. Pass and I spoke to him.
The position we were in was being heavily swept by the fire of about 15 Austrian machine guns and much trench mortar and artillery fire. 2Lt. Pass was suffering from abdominal wounds and unable to walk or help himself. How many or of what kind I cannot say. The state of the position making it inadvisable to attend to them there and then if anyone was to return with a report, I decided to carry him with the help of Pte. Northrop and we proceeded slowly over about 50 yards to the outside edge of the inner belt of the Austrians wire defences. Here, Northrop was wounded for the second time during the evening in the shoulder supporting 2Lt. Pass, rendering him of no further help to me, so I ordered him to cut along alone whilst I made an effort to carry 2Lt. Pass myself. I was not very strong by this time with the exertion and excitement of the raid and the three wounds I had received giving more trouble to me. I carried 2Lt. Pass however to the outer belt of the enemy defence about another hundred yards when an Austrian heavy shell burst behind us, throwing us both into a shell hole.

Being in need of breath we rested a few moments and when I enquired whether we should continue 2Lt. Pass was unconscious, haemorrhage having set up and blood oozing from his mouth. I was arrested from investigating whether he was still living by a Very light burning on the ground showing up two live Austrians about twenty-five yards away, who had evidently seen us, covering us with their rifles, there was nothing left for me but to go for them. I did, and killed them both. After this my mind had turned itself to my own men and getting away from that dangerous area having given 2Lt. Pass up as died from wounds.

When I eventually arrived at Raid HQ I reported how and in what condition I left 2Lt. Pass and afterwards plotted out, whilst in hospital, where he finally fell.

I heard from Mr. Pass, Lt. Pass’ father, a few weeks ago and when he visited me told him in person the details mentioned here. I have every reason to believe that I was the last British Officer or man now living who saw 2Lt. Pass, not meeting with any of my own men myself for quite three hundred yards nearer our own lines after I settled the Austrians”.
2Lt. Alfred Ernest Pass

A pension award was made in the case of the late Sgt. Percy James Dawson (see 29th March), who had been officially ‘missing in action’ since the crossing of the Piave in October 1918; his widow, Elizabeth, was awarded £1 12s. 1d. per week.

A pension award was made in the case of the late Pte. Thomas Shepherd (see 15th March), who had been killed in action on 27th October 1918; his widow, Florence, was awarded £1 5s. 5d. per week.


No comments:

Post a Comment