Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Sunday 11 November 2018

Tuesday 12th November 1918


In billets at Terrossa.

2Lt. Bernard Garside (see 11th November) remembered the consequences of the previous night’s celebrations, “On parade, the Colonel asked, very sweetly, that all officers should stay behind. But when the sergeants had marched the men off he lost all his sweetness. Oh my, didn’t he tick us off! He said, quite rightly, that we could not expect the men to remain disciplined if we forgot to discipline ourselves etc. etc. and off we went feeling very naughty little boys.  Of course he was right”.

The concern about discipline in the coming weeks and days was always reflected in the official Divisional History, “At first it was difficult to believe that after four long years of war an almost certain prospect of peace had opened. This incredible fact for a time was in itself sufficient to keep men’s minds occupied. But when the full significance was grasped it was quickly realised that a heavy task lay before all concerned if the thousands of men who constituted the Division were to be kept happy and contented. Discipline is easy to enforce with the British soldier when the necessity for it is realised. While the war was in progress the value of discipline had been clear to the common sense of the men in the front line. Would the need for it now be equally evident to them? Idleness is a certain source of evil. The men had never grudged the hours spent in training for battle. Would they now as willingly spend their time in military exercises while awaiting their return to civil life? Wives and parents were eager for the return of their husbands and sons. The men were anxious as to their future and their prospects of employment in civil life”.

Ptes. Samuel Lawton Birtles (see 9th November), Walter Dey (see 11th October), Ernest Portman (see 26th October) and Joseph Barber Taylor (see 29th October) were posted from the Convalescent Depot at Lido d’Albano to the Base Depot at Arquata Scrivia.

Pte. Richard Harrison (see 3rd November), who had been wounded on 27th October, was transferred from 81st General Hospital in Marseilles to the Stationary Hospital in Marseilles. In addition to his original wound, he would also be treated for scabies.

Pte. Fred Sutcliffe (see 19th October) was transferred from 11th General Hospital in Genoa to 57th General Hospital in Marseilles; he was suffering from diarrhoea.

2Lt. Joseph Barrett Hartley MC (see 7th November), who had been wounded five days’ previously while serving in France with 17th Royal Welsh Fusiliers, was evacuated to England, travelling from Le Havre to Southampton. On arrival in England he would be admitted to Somerville Section, 3rd Southern General Hospital, based at Somerville College, Oxford.

2Lt. Joseph Barrett Hartley MC
The day after news had been received of the death of Capt. Bob Perks DSO (see 11th November), his brother, Martin, wrote to their parents,

My dearest Mother and Father

There is nothing to say except that I wish I could have been with you and you know I feel like you must.  It was very kind and good of Dad to take such care to have me told gently; there is no kinder heart than his in the world I think.

Grundy was most awfully nice to me; I was so upset and he was so kind.  He suggested himself at once that I should go to Worcester and see Maybell (as there was a half-holiday of course), and return the next day and not spend the evening and night all alone.  I did go.  I was so stunned that I forgot until well on the way that I had not brought so much as a tooth brush with me.  I was very glad beyond words to have Maybell to talk to; till I saw her I felt somehow frozen but when I was alone with her, I wept bitterly for a long time which I very rarely do and somehow I felt not quite so desolate. 

It was rather dreadful for me coming just a few hours after news of the armistice but I feel after all it shows so very clearly that our dear gallant Bob did not fall in vain.  I feel quite sure he knows we have beaten the Germans now.  I feel more sorry for you and Dad than I do for myself, though you must know how fond I was, I am, of Bob but I feel it is harder for you who are older.  I am not sorry for him; he was a brave, kind, unselfish, affectionate, good and dear man and I know he will be happy.  I don’t think there is any more to say except that now I am your only son in this world, I want you to feel once more how very much I love and respect you both and how glad and proud I am to be your son and Bob’s brother.

Your son,

Martin
Capt. Bob Perks DSO
I am most grateful to Janet Hudson for her permission to quote from the Perks family correspondence.


A payment of £2 9s. 6d. was authorised, being the amount due in pay and allowances to the late Pte. Thomas Henry Wood (see 20th September 1917), who had been officially missing in action since 20th September 1917; the payment would go to his father, Arthur.


No comments:

Post a Comment