Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Tuesday 6 March 2018

Thursday 7th March 1918

Billets at Biadene.



Ptes. Fred Clayton (see 9th February), Charles Henry Russell (see 29th October 1917), Frederick George Westlake (see 5th January) and Arthur Thomas Wilford (see 16th December 1917) were reported by Sgts. Ellis Rigby (see 10th November 1917), Joseph Maddison MM (see 9th February) and Joseph Bell (see 8th February), respectively, as having been, “dirty on 7.45am parade”; on the orders of Capt. Dick Bolton MC (see 25th February) they would be confined to barracks for seven days.
Pte. Daniel Mackenzie (see 4th November) was reported by Sgt. James Robinson (see 29th July 1916) for having a “dirty rifle on 8.30am parade” on the orders of 2Lt. William Johnson Simpson (see 21st January) he was to be confined to barracks for four days.
After two weeks treatment for diarrhoea, Ptes. Thomas Henry Fearn (see 23rd February) was transferred from 70th Field Ambulance to 11th General Hospital in Genoa.
Pte. Joseph McDermott (see 14th February) was transferred from 23rd Division Rest Station, via 24th Casualty Clearing Station, to 11th General Hospital in Genoa; he was suffering from ‘ICT’ (inflammation of connective tissue) in his right leg.
Pte. James Arthur Heap (see 4th November 1917),  serving in France with 63rd Labour Company, Labour Corps, was admitted to hospital suffering from diarrhoea.
Lt. John Charles Brison Redfearn (see 10th January) wrote, from the Officers Command Depot, South Camp, Ripon, to the War Office requesting a reassessment of his case,
“I have the honour to request that you will grant me, at the earliest opportunity, a Special Medical Board on my case. I have been sent here from Pinewood Sanatorium, Wokingham, Berks. recently although not recovered from pulmonary tuberculosis, and since my arrival I have not felt at all well. I must apologise for writing direct, rather than through the command depot authorities, but I desire to have an independent examination of my case and I regret to say that I somehow feel that the Medical Staff have not taken a fair view of my case. At my last Board I strongly urged that I might be kept in the South of England somewhere; this place depresses me very greatly and I am unable to make any progress in these climatic conditions. May I beg that this Board be granted me as soon as possible.”
The War Office replied simply that he must pursue his appeal through the proper channels.
A payment of £6 12s. 6d. was authorised, being the amount due in pay and allowances to the late Cpl. Joseph Smith (12748) MM (see 17th December 1917), who had been killed in action on 18th October 1917; the payment would go to his father, Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment