Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Friday 17 February 2017

Sunday 18th February 1917

Trenches near Observatory Ridge (I.24.d.7.1 to I.24.d.8.6)

Overnight (18th/19th) a fighting party from ‘A’ Company, led by 2Lt. Phillip Howard Morris (20th October) went out to try to secure a German prisoner; the party engaged a large German patrol in No Man’s Land and, after a bombing exchange, all men returned safely, though without a captive. It was reported that they had caused several casualties to the Germans. Brig Genl. Lambert (see 17th February), noted the raid in his diary, “10th WR raid – met German party outside their wire – much bombing – no casualties”. Lambert had earlier visited the trenches and had found that, “not enough work going on and lots to be done”.
(I am greatly indebted to Juliet Lambert for her generosity in allowing me access to Brig. Genl. Lambert’s diary and letters).


After spending a month in hospital Pte. George Edward Milner (see 17th January) was discharged from 12th Stationery Hospital at Boulogne and posted to 34th Infantry Base Depot at Etaples.
L.Cpl. Fred Dyson (see 25th November 1916), 23rd Northumberland Fusiliers (4th Tyneside Scottish), who had recently completed an application for a commission, was posted back to the Regimental Depot in Newcastle upon Tyne. He would have a period of leave before beginning his officer training course. Dyson would later be commissioned and serve with 10DWR. 

The sister of Pte. Frederick William Jesson (see 6th October 1916), who had been killed at Le Sars, wrote to the War Office in an attempt to secure payment of the outstanding pay and allowances due to her late brother,
“Gentlemen
From enclosed effects form it seems you again wish me to repeat the statement with reference to my brother’s will which I have made and signed twice previously; only this time you require some responsible personage to substantiate it and vouch for my truthfulness and integrity. I may say we are not asking the military authorities for anything that we are not entitled to, but an account due to my brother and which my mother is justly entitled to.

Statement.
Where made: at 180 Willowfield Street, Princeville, Bradford.
Date: June 24th 1915 when home on leave from Folkestone.

Question: Have you made a will Fred?

Answer: Yes of course, we all make a will before we go out.

Question: Who have you made it out to?

Answer: My mother of course. Who do you think I’ve made it out to?

Persons present during conversation: none but deceased and myself.

I hereby declare the above to be a true and correct statement as far as it lays in my power to give.

Signed (Annie E. Jesson)

Witness: George A. Thomas, Primitive Methodist Minister, 79 Cecil Avenue, Bradford.


No comments:

Post a Comment