Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Sunday 26 February 2017

Monday 26th February 1917

Winnipeg Camp

The Battalion finally reached Winnipeg Camp around 4.15 am having travelled by train from Ypres to Vlamertinghe, before completing the final march to the camp. The morning was brighter, but ‘fresh’ and much of the day was then spent cleaning uniform and equipment in preparation for a further move into Corps Reserve, which was to begin the following day. Brig Genl. Lambert (see 18th February), commented on both the weather and the need for the men to have time to clean and repair equipment in a letter home to his wife, “Today has been really quite a nice morning … the sun is out and it is like a bright Spring day … and I hope it will continue fine for some time so as to give us a fair chance of getting the men clean and smart. We have really had excellent weather considering the time of year … The frost of course was intense but since that went we have had reasonably fine weather and though of course the country is heavy (ie muddy) it is not impassable”. He also reflected on developments on the Somme front, “The news from the Somme that Pys, and even Bapaume, have been evacuated by the Germans is rather startling but I am not altogether surprised. The Boche has no doubt gone back to just as strong a line behind and has got a force ready to make an attack so as to catch us if we are rash!”.
(I am greatly indebted to Juliet Lambert for her generosity in allowing me access to Brig. Genl. Lambert’s diary and letters).

  

Cpl. James Shackleton MM (see 20th September 1916) who had been wounded six days earlier was evacuated to be treated in hospital at Wimereux.

Cpl. James Shackleton

Pte. Joseph Renshaw (see 11th January) was evacuated to England; he was suffering from influenza, and on arrival in England would be admitted to the City of London Military Hospital.
Mrs. Fanny Louise Lavarack, widowed mother of the late Lt. Adolph Keith Lavarack (see 23rd January), who had been killed on 5th July 1916, wrote to the War Office confirming the current addresses of herself and of her five surviving sons, all of whom were currently serving in the armed forces. Her address was 15 Wycombe Gardens, Golders Green. Her sons’ correspondence addresses were: Lt F.S. Lavarack – School of Mortars, 1st Army, BEF, France; Lt. H.U. Lavarack, Branch Requisition Officer, HQ 1st Army; Lt. P.J.V. Lavarack, 16th Squadron, RFC, France; Lt A.W. Lavarack, 17th Royal Fusiliers, BEF, France; Capt. E.T. Lavarck, 12th Suffolks, BEF, France.


Lt. Adolph Keith Lavarack


Lt. Thomas Beattie, (see 10th February), currently serving with 83rd Training Reserve Battalion in Gateshead, wrote to the War Office, applying for a wound gratuity.

“Sir
On August 3rd 1916, while serving with the 9th Duke of Wellington’s Regt in France, I was wounded. The battalion was holding Delville Wood, making preparations to attack the German trenches, in order to straighten the line. During the night 2nd/3rd August we were subjected to a very heavy bombardment by the enemy’s artillery, and early in the morning of 3rd August I was wounded, by the shrapnel from a shell which burst above my trench, in the left shoulder. I was brought down to the Field Dressing Station and hence to a Field Ambulance after my wound had been dressed. In the afternoon of the 3rd of August I was operated upon, under anaesthetic, but the operation was unsuccessful as the shrapnel had penetrated too far into my shoulder. I was sent down to the no.2 Red Cross Hospital, Rouen and I was x-rayed and on the 5th of August I was operated upon again. This operation was also unsuccessful and I was evacuated home on the 8th of August when I was fit to do the journey, and I was sent to the no.2 Western General Hospital, Manchester. I was again x-rayed and on the 23rd of August I was operated on for the third time. This operation was successful as all the shrapnel was extracted. I was in hospital until 27th September 1916 when I was sent out on sick leave. I was on sick leave for six weeks until 10th November 1916 when I joined the 3rd Battalion Duke of Wellington’s Regiment at North Shields. Since then I have been before a Medical Board each month, and was given light duty for one month and home service for three months, being excused equipment as I am unable to bear the weight of equipment. My left arm is gradually recovering its function and in time should be all right.
I am applying for wound gratuity on account of the above wounds received while on active service, hoping it will receive your favourable consideration.”



2Lt. John Keighley Snowden (see 2nd February), who had been wounded at Le Sars, appeared before a further Medical Board; he was declared fit for home service and instructed to join 3DWR at North Shields, which he would duly do next day.
  

A payment of £14 4s 7d was authorised, being the amount outstanding in pay and allowances to the late Pte. Anthony Lofthouse (see 3rd November 1916); the payment would go to his father, John.

Pte. Anthony Lofthouse



No comments:

Post a Comment