Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Sunday 31 August 2014

Tuesday 1st September 1914


Dick Bolton, who was to become one of Tunstill's fellow officers with his Company, wrote, from his home at Elslack, direct to the War Office, seeking clarification about his possible appointment to a commission: 

Sir 

A fortnight ago I applied at the Halifax Depot of the West Riding Regiment for a Temporary Commission in the Regular Forces. 

Although the names of several hundred cadets (OTC) have appeared in the Gazette, I have not yet been Gazetted. I think I may claim to be as well trained as most of them. I have served as an officer for three years in a Territorial Battalion and was, during that time, attached for a month to a Regular Unit. I resigned last February simply for business reasons. 

I am anxious to know at once if my application has not been successful as in that case I shall enlist in one of the new City Battalions now being formed. 

All I wish is an opportunity of going to the front as soon as possible and for this reason I have taken the liberty of sending this letter direct.

I have the honour be, Sir, your obedient servant, 

Richard Bolton
 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. A truly facinating blog. This serves as an excellent accompaniment to the promenade performance, 'Tunstill's Men' - Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete