Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Tuesday 28 April 2020

Thursday 29th April 1920


Maj. Robert Harwar Gill DSO (see 22nd April), who was on leave having been under treatment at 3rd London General Hospital, Wandsworth, on account of wounds he had suffered in October 1918, wrote (from his home address at Claremont House, Knaresborough) to The War Office regarding the recent decision that he was to relinquish his commission:

“On the 16th I received from the Assistant Military Secretary, Northern Command, War Office letter saying it had been decided to gazette me as relinquishing my commission. I am a patient in Queen Alexandra’s Military Hospital, Millbank, and, up to yesterday, was on leave for the purpose of receiving 13 weekly inocluations of autogenous serum which could be administered here to me at less expense to both the State and myself than if I had remained in hospital. I have not been discharged from hospital and the Medical Officers who recommended me this leave did so on the understanding that I was to return for further treatment at the end of it. This treatment will probably consist of an operation to my nose and a further plastic operation to my socket. I immediately wrote to the Assistant Military Secretary, Northern Command, pointing out these facts and requesting information, but have received no reply to my letter, nor to a reminder sent to him on the 22nd. A similar letter sent to the Ministry of Pensions, Yorkshire Region, on 20th has also received no reply. If, as I think, the relinquishing of commission is an error, I should now be back in hospital. I have, however, received no confirmation from the War Office of the month’s leave granted me by the Medical Board at York on 29th March and no order or warrant to return to hospital. The former I need to claim the allowances to which I am entitled. I shall be much obliged if you will explain the position to me’.
Maj. Robert Harwar Gill DSO

No comments:

Post a Comment