Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Sunday 12 April 2020

Monday 12th April 1920

A/Maj. John Atkinson (see 28th February), who had been released from the Army six months previously, again wrote to the War Office regarding pay and allowances due to him; “With reference to enclosed – what am I to do please? In June 1919 I received 14 days’ leave from Germany in the usual manner; while on leave my wife was taken suddenly ill and I applied to the War Office for an extension, which was granted until July 26th. Immediately on receipt of the extension telegram from the War Office I forwarded same to DAAG of my Division (Western) who received it. I applied for lodging and ration allowance through the usual channels but I never received them. As a matter of fact I received no allowances whatsoever from June until October 13th when I was demobilized; nor have I received them up to the present.”

Pte. Albert William Cogger (see 25th April 1919) (40003), who had been serving with 1st (Garrison) Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers, was formally ‘discharged on demobilization’.

A review of the pension award made to John Longmire (see 5th April 1918), who had been discharged from the Army in April 1918, led to his assessed pension being increased to 8s. per week, to be reviewed after one year.

A payment of £52 9s. 10d, comprising of £29 9s. 10d. due from pay and allowances and a £23 war gratuity was authorised in respect of the late L. Cpl. Charles Dowson (see 29th April 1919), who had been killed in action in August 1918; the payment would go to his his aunt, Ellen Wood.

Payment of a £3 war gratuity was authorised in the case of the late Pte. Arthur Goldthorpe (see 11th April 1917), who had been killed in action in October 1916; the payment would be divided in equal shares between his married sister, Florence Rhodes, and Miss Annie E. Langford,who may have been Arthur’s sweetheart.
Pte. Arthur Goldthorpe

No comments:

Post a Comment