Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Monday 22 April 2019

Wednesday 23rd April 1919


Ptes. Michael Newton (see 23rd March) and William Ryan (see 23rd March) were officially transferred to the Army Reserve Class Z.

Ptes. James Arthur Heap (see 23rd March) and Mitchell Dunn (see 14th May 1917), both of whom had been serving with the Labour Corps, were also officially transferred to the Army Reserve Class Z.

2Lt. John Davis (see 11th April) wrote to the Ministry of Pensions:

“Having been invalided from the service through wounds caused on active service I would be glad to know if I have been granted a further gratuity or pension. I have the honour to inform you that I was recently examined under a Superannuation Scheme by Dr. Sir J. Sawyer when he told me that my wound would never get any better and that the best thing I could do would be to learn to massage my arm to prevent the wound from contracting. This I do now”.
2Lt. John Davis MM
Thomas Whitaker, father of the late 2Lt. Samuel Whitaker (see 14th April) who had died from ‘influenza and broncho-pneumonia’ shortly after returning home from Italy, wrote to the War Office: “A circular letter dated the 15th inst. has been addressed to my son at 67 Low Street, Keighley, asking that any change of permanent address may be notified to you in writing. 2nd. Lt. S. Whitaker died on the 26th February 1919 and a certificate of his death was sent to the War Office on the 4th March. Our wounds are not yet healed and I hope we may be spared unnecessary laceration by receiving further notices relating to release and calling up which only have the effect of increasing our grief”.

No comments:

Post a Comment