Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Monday 26 June 2017

Wednesday 27th June 1917

Le Coq de Pailie, close to Berthen

A wet day.
Capt. Bob Perks DSO (see 26th June) again wrote home to his father.
My Dear Dad
Thanks for the parcel of yesterday and letter of today.  The parcel was a very compact little collection of lots of things urgently needed and all, except the plaster and Oxo for which I am pleased to say there was no immediate need, were immediately taken into use. I shall selfishly keep all the plaster to myself.  The spurs are A1 in chiding the horse, much admired and make an awful difference not so much by their use as by the fact that of their being there. Jessie (my horse)   knows. Do you know I guessed the Dr Reskas were an extra from you?! On the strength of the nice EP needles I treated myself to 5 new records. I rode over to a town about six miles away for them and was able to carry them all the way back in my spare hand. 
I am glad you liked my despatch.  I had dinner with the C.O. last night and he told me that this brigade was to have the most medals given it of any this push!  We have only two Military Medals up to date but crowds are expected any day now.  Also this and our other battalion earned most praise from the Brigade!! To show how easy the victory was – our division had most casualties of any in the Push!  That was because of our flank of course. Other people drove the guns that might fire on them back in front of them.  The people on our left did not advance nor did the Bosche guns there go back.  One of those honourable but nasty positions the division has earned for itself.
The post was very early today so I am able to catch today’s outward mail which we generally miss by an hour or two.  I caught it yesterday because I happened to be up at H.Q where they sort them at the right moment, picked my own parcel out and rode off.
My Company is playing cricket this afternoon and is very anxious for me to play, but I think I shall content myself with watching.
Love to you and Mother 
Bob
P.S. We move up tomorrow and are for trenches the next night.  RCP 
(I am greatly indebted to Janet Hudson for her kind permission to allow me to quote from Bob Perks’ correspondence).

 
Capt. Bob Perks DSO
Image by kind permission of Janet Hudson

Pte. Albert Sunderland (see 7th June), who had been severely wounded on 7th June, died at 26th General Hospital at Etaples; he would be buried at Etaples Military Cemetery.

2Lt. Fred Baume (see 5th April), currently on light duty with 3DWR at North Shields, having been wounded during the actions at Le Sars in October 1916, wrote to the War Office to enquire about the progress of his request for a wound gratuity:

“I have the honour to request that my claim for gratuity for wounds received in action may receive further consideration. I was wounded at Le Sars on October 3rd 1916 and am at the present time, on Home Service. I have a wound about two inches long, three quarters of an inch wide and one inch and a quarter deep across the rectus femoris muscle. I am unable to take part in any strenuous sport and thus am interfered with in my civil occupation as a Sports Master. Up to this month I have been on light duty and at the present time am excused all marching”.

A gratuity payment (amount unknown), in lieu of a pension, was authorised in respect of late Pte. John Greenwood (see 23rd April) who had died of wounds following German shelling of Ypres in January. The payment would go to his sister, Sarah.
A payment of £90 was authorised to the widow of 2Lt. Benjamin Owen Hunt (see 23rd May), who had died of wounds a month previously. Hunt’s remaining effects were also returned to his widowed mother, Gertrude Marion Hunt; they were listed as “1 compass in case; 1 identity disc and chain; 1 ring; 1 pair of scissors; 2 studs; 1 Book of Psalms; 1 note case; 1 pipe; 1 penknife; letters; 1 photo; 1 fountain pen; 1 whistle and lanyard; 2 pencils; 1 cigarette case; 1 cheque book; 1 handkerchief; 1 note book; 2 cloth stars; 1 tobacco pouch; 1 purse; 1 Bible; 1 writing case”.
2Lt. Benjamin Owen Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment