Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Thursday 1 June 2017

Saturday 2nd June 1917

“Scottish Lines” in the Boeschepe training area, near Watou.

Another hot, windy and dusty day.
Sgt. William Allen Sayer (see 15th May) and Cpl. Walter Appleby (see 5th May) were severely reprimanded by temporary CO Maj. Charles Bathurst (see 21st May), having been found to have been “absent from billet”.


Pte. Trayton George Harper (see 10th March) was reported as having been “late on 10am parade”; on the orders of Capt. Dick Bolton (see 31st May)  he would be confined to barracks for four days.

Pte. Albert Edward Everitt (see 22nd February) was admitted, via 71st Field Ambulance at at Waratah Camp, south-east of Poperinghe, to 50th Casualty Clearing Station at Mont des Cats; he was suffering from scabies.
2Lt. Bob Perks, DSO (see 1st June) wrote home to his father:
My Dear Dad
I have suddenly remembered that to-day is your birthday.  I am very much afraid this will be too late to wish you Many Happy Returns but I hope not too late to tell you that I did wish you the best of times on the day itself. Til yesterday I have not had time to write a letter for days and have hardly written a letter for the last 12 days.  I have had to arrange a number of things extra to the ordinary routine including practically reorganising the company for a glorious future during which glorious future, I am again to command the Company.
It might please Mr. Kitchen to know that throughout the past week I have ridden a horse with great success, so much so that I quite trusted myself on a horse which strongly desisted standing still and did not very much like passing motors. I rode about 8 miles to see Bolland (see 1st June) yesterday evening and had a lovely ride back in the moonlight with willing horses who had to be reined in.
Our Captain (Capt. Dick Bolton, see above) is back now and has brought back three records which we are now trying, but I fear it is about the last time we shall hear it for a time.  We move nearer the line to-morrow (Sunday move as usual).
Please thank Mother for her letter of 28th just arrived.  Bravo the pig! I expect you spend most of this lovely day having a birthday holiday, pottering round the animal and the garden generally.  Where do you keep her? And whoever looks after it?  I suppose it is meant to be the forerunner to a village full of pigs.  Everytime I hear from the Shoesmiths I am told about the wonderful hens Mr. Shoesmith keeps.  Now I can reply.
Thanks very much for the body shield.  Really thanks - as you know I regarded them as more likely to kill one by their weight than save life but this is quite light and although it may be hot, is quite a protection.  This we doubted until one of our revolver bullets failed to penetrate at 4 yards!  Then I said I have got a new waistcoat.
Love Bob
 
2Lt. Bob Perks DSO
Image and extracts from Bob Perks' correspondence by kind permission of Janet Hudson


Pte. Thomas Hockey (see 15th October 1916), serving with 2DWR, was discharged from 6th Convalescent Depot at Etaples and posted to ‘Details Camp A’; the reason for his having been in convalescence are unknown. He would subsequentl (date and details unknown) be transferred to the Royal Engineers, Waterways and Railways Division.

Albert Isherwood, who had died the previous week, aged 17, was buried at Slaidburn Church; he was the younger brother of Ptes.
Edwin (see 11th April) and Walter Isherwood (see 17th October 1916), both of whom had been among Tunstill’s original recruits and both of whom had died in service.

 
Pte. Edwin Isherwood

No comments:

Post a Comment