Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Monday 24 April 2017

Wednesday 25th April 1917


Scottish Camp, south-west of Brandhoek

The Battalion was engaged in training and route marching. The recent fine, warm weather continued.




Pte. Fred Light Pashley (see 28th February) was promoted Lance Corporal.

Pte. Matthew Henry Jubb (see 16th March) was in trouble for the fourth time in recent weeks; he was reported by Sgt. William Alfred Walmsley Gaunt (see 5th April) as being “improperly dressed and not shaved on 9am parade” (with evidence also from Cpl. Robinson??); his punishment was sanctioned by Lt. Col. Robert Raymer (see 6th April), who authorised 14 days Field Punishment no.1.

Pte. Frederick William Warner (see 3rd March) was reported by Cpl. Harry Holmes (see 6th April) for ‘disobeying Battalion orders; ie having an empty water bottle on guard mounting’; on the orders of Capt. Edgar Stanton (see 5th April) he was to be confined to barracks for seven days.


Pte. John Killerby (see 30th March) once again found himself on a charge, this time for having a “dirty bayonet on parade”; he was ordered to be confined to barracks for five days.



2Lt. Bob Perks, DSO (see 5th April) wrote a short note home to his father:

My Dear Dad

Thank you very much for your letter and Mother for a Westminster which I have just read in its entirety. I imagine Mr Compton must be bucked with his life but I am more interested in when and how your next H of Lords case proceeds.  I am returning still another paper which I find in my possession but have no use for.  Before I forget, thanks very much for sending the gramophone which I gather was, a great deal of it, your work.

I have the Oxford appointments committee’s papers still with me, so am filling them up.  As a step towards it, I have asked Edwards to send you a testimonial for you to send me a copy.  I intend to do the same with Merton please.

Do you remember my saying I had met Tommy Ostler at the bus 9 on my way home last August.  I met him the other day.  He is in our Brigade.

I notice you have addressed the envelope this time according to my idea.  We had a lecture on etiquette etc. the other day and most of it was, “Don’t let your friends address you as Lieut.”!

Having just written to Joy and Mother I cannot last out any longer so cheerio.

Love to all

Bob

 
2Lt. Bob Perks DSO
Image by kind permission of Janet Hudson



Cpl. John Stewart (see 5th March), who had spent the previous seven weeks on temporary service with 40th Light Railway Operating Company, now re-joined the Battalion, “owing to inability to pass trade test”.



Having completed his officer training course, Pte. Conrad Anderson (see 8th January), previously serving with 26th Royal Fusiliers, was commissioned Temporary Second Lieutenant with the West Ridings; he would subsequently be posted to 10DWR.



The mother of 2Lt. Roland Herbert Wyndham Brinsley-Richards (see 18th April), who had been officially reported ‘missing in action’ following the action at Munster Alley in July 1916, again wrote to the War Office, following her previous acceptance of the death of her son:

“I should like to take steps to insert an obituary notice in the newspapers at an early date and should be glad if you would kindly inform me whether I should be at liberty to state in this connection that my son “is officially presumed to have been killed”.

In reply the War Office would confirm that an official statement of death would not be permissible until at least six months had elapsed and that no official certificate of death could yet be issued but the statement of ‘likelihood’ by the War Office would suffice for all official purposes.

2Lt. Roland Herbert Wyndham Brinsley-Richards


The War Office replied to the recent enquiry made by Frank Hird, Church Army Commissioner, Third Army and elder brother of the late Lt. Frederick Hird (see 14th April) regarding the administration of his late brother’s estate. No payment of Frederick Hird’s outstanding pay and allowances had yet due to the uncertainty over Hird’s marital status. The War office now requested the full name of Frederick’s ex-wife and confirmation of the date of divorce and of when it was made absolute.

  

A payment of £2 6s 11d was authorised, being the amount outstanding in pay and allowances to the late Pte. Harold Anderton (see 1st January); the payment would go to his father, Thomas.





No comments:

Post a Comment