Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Monday 2 January 2017

Wednesday 3rd January 1917

Trenches east of Armagh Wood


Another quiet day, with only sporadic trench mortar activity.
L.Cpl. George Richard Goodchild (see 17th September) was promoted Corporal.

L.Cpl. George Richard Goodchild
Image by kind permission of Henry Bolton

Pte. Walter Charlesworth (see 28th August), serving with 3DWR at North Shields, made a formal statement requesting a transfer to the Machine Gun Corps:

“Having been a machine gunner in my own Battalion, 10th Duke of Wellington’s, I hereby make application to be transferred into the Machine Gun Corps. I put an application in when I first joined my Company, which must have been misplaced. I again put in an application which the O.C. Company, Capt. Bathurst (Capt. Charles Bathurst (see 23rd November 1916), promised to grant me. I was put on a draft and on the G.O.C.’s inspection Lt. Col. McCloud looked into my case and I was taken off the draft to await transfer. I was sent to Chirton on police and have been kept there until now, so now I would like my case to be noticed by you”.

Pte. Irvine Clark (see 26th December 1916) serving with 83rd Training Reserve Battalion, based at Gateshead, who had been absent without leave for the previous week, now returned to duty. The nature of his punishment is unknown. 

Capt. George Reginald Charles Heale MC (see 31st December 1916), who had recently been compelled to relinquish his commission on grounds of ill-health, wrote to the War Office to seek reinstatement to his post.
Sir
I have the honour to apply for a Central Medical Board so that I may be examined with a view to being re-instated as Captain in the Army. I enclose certificate of fitness from my medical adviser.
My service during the present war dates from May 1915 when I was gazetted Lieutenant, and I was promoted to Captain on July 6th 1916. Gazetted out as relinquishing my commission on account of ill-health on December 7th 1916.

I have been mentioned in Sir Douglas Haig’s despatches (April 30th 1916) and received Military Cross, March 1917.
Capt. George Reginald Charles Heale MC



No comments:

Post a Comment