Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Tuesday 17 January 2017

Thursday 18th January 1917

Billets in the Infantry Barracks in Ypres

The very cold weather continued, with a hard frost. Training, and the provision of working parties, continued.


Capt. Adrian O’Donnell Pereira (see 8th December 1916), currently on light duty with 3DWR at North Shields, and with a pending application for a permanent commission in the Indian Army, appeared before a Medical Board at Tynemouth. The Board found him fit for general service.

Capt. Adrian O'Donnell Pereira
Aidan Nicholson (see 6th May 1916), who had previously been dismissed from his officer training course, as being “of insufficient physique”, wrote to the War Office asking that his case be reconsidered. He told them that, “Since being discharged I have endeavoured to improve my physique and my measurements are now – 5ft 4 ½ inches; 30 – 34 ½ inch chest. I should be grateful if you could do anything for me as regards resuming my course and should I not be sufficient for the Infantry I should be only too pleased to offer myself as an observer or otherwise for the Flying Corps. This I suggest on account of the training and theory I obtained, firstly during the twelve months OTC training and secondly in the Cadet Battalion where I was for two months”. He would later serve with 10DWR.
Aidan Nicholson
Image by kind permission of the Trustees of the DWR Museum



No comments:

Post a Comment