Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Friday 4 December 2015

Sunday 5th December 1915

Jesus Farm, Erquinghem



Two men were injured whilst filling in a trench which had been used during one of the bombing courses. Sgt. William H. Williams (13580) subsequently died as a result of his injuries and would be buried at Sailly-sur-la-Lys Canadian Cemetery. The other man, Pte. John Holden (12384), recovered from his injuries and returned to active service with the Battalion. He had enlisted in Darwen in September 1914, aged 26; he was married and had one son and had been working as a coal miner.



Pte. Michael Kenefick was appointed (unpaid) Lance Corporal. He was an original member of the Battalion, having enlisted in Huddersfield in September 1914, aged 35; originally from Bradford, he had worked as a builder’s labourer and was married with three children.
Around this date, though the precise date has not been established, Capt. Gilbert Tunstill departed for England on leave. The introduction of home leave was a recent step (see 25th November) and Tunstill was among the first officers of the Battalion to be able to return to England. His presence at home was noted in the Craven Herald (see 10th December).


Pte. William Knox (see 3rd December) once again wrote to his wife, Ethel (I am most grateful to Rachael Broadhead and family for allowing me access to William’s letters).

“Just a few lines to let you know that I have just received your parcel dated 29.11.1915 and thank you very much for it. The mince pies are champion, also the cake and other contents. I will write to Mitchells tomorrow all being well. I have not heard from Nelly as yet. I am not writing much tonight; will write another time. I was pleased to hear that you are quite well and I am very pleased to say that it leaves me very well at present. You must let me know if you received those postcards; hope you like them. I have not heard from home for over a month. I found that small parcel that was in the envelope. Will now close with fondest love and kisses”.

No comments:

Post a Comment