Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Sunday 6 September 2015

Monday 6th September 1915

Nort-Leulinghem

As per the orders received the previous day, the Battalion left Nort-Leulinghem at 5.45 am for the twenty mile march south-east, via Tilques and Arqes, to new billets in the region of Wallon Cappell. The War Diary noted that, “As the day advanced the heat became great. This combined with the hard roads was the cause of the numerous men who fell out”. Lt. Dick Bolton (see 4th September), added further detail:
“This first march of 30 kilometres to Wallon Cappell was a really testing one for everyone. The day was extremely hot and everybody carried much more kit than could reasonably be managed on active service. To add to our troubles, the P.H. gas helmets, which were made of flannel soaked in some sticky liquid, proved to be irresistibly attractive to wasps, and every man had a swarm around him. Very many fell out, but even in those early days, some had already discovered that the best place to do so was outside an estaminet’.

Lt. Robert Stewart Skinner Ingram (see 30th August), whilst sanguine about his own fitness, was very critical of the demands placed on the men by this extended march on such a hot day,
“We began to march at 5.45am, the whole 23rd Division. A Division with transport covers 14 miles on the road. That day was the biggest thing the Division has done since it was formed. We covered 21 miles that day and a la pack mule as well. Fortunately for me I can apparently stand more than any of the other officers of the Company and more than most of the men. The heat was extreme and somebody ought to be strafed for making the luckless Division cover 21 miles in a day. Those men, “beautiful in lace and gold” (Ovid. Hendiadys), Staff Officers on horses or in cars don’t know what a load of a hundred odd lbs and 120 rounds of ammunition means after 19 miles, carrying three rifles the last few miles. I never felt better, not really tired at all, in fact I told Bolton (see above) I felt quite capable of fighting three rounds then. So you need not worry about me personally being able to stick this life. Having a most excellent time. Don’t when I enjoyed a fortnight more in my life than this last fortnight. This pave is awful to march on. In fact one of my men described it as ……., well, it is. That is the only way to describe it. The last two miles were rather unpleasant as I had dashed my foot against a stone which ripped up a blister which had long since ceased to hurt. A rule in our Company is that a man may fall out, but must go on until he drops down. So I just had to drive, push and persuade. About 20 of my platoon collapsed as they marched. The Brigade lost about 25% or so. It all seemed rather unnecessary after ten days at the last place but no doubt there was some reason”.
Wallon Cappell was finally reached at around 3.15 pm.

J. B. Priestley (see 4th September) anticipated a further move (and perhaps also the surplus of kit commented on by Lt. Bolton) in a letter home to his family, “Moving again and as I cannot possibly carry any more things with me, I shall have to eat them and share them of course with my comrades”.

No comments:

Post a Comment