Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Monday 27 October 2014

Tuesday 27th October 1914

Tunstill’s Company suffered their first death, just five weeks after leaving to begin their training. Walter Isherwood, who had been taken ill some days previously, died as a result of measles and pneumonia. Walter was just 16 years old and had been one of the five men from Slaidburn who had enlisted following Tunstill’s meeting held in the village (see 17th September). Walter’s elder brother, Edwin had enlisted at the same time. In its account of Walter’s death the Clitheroe Advertiser commenting on the fact that Walter was under-age when enlisting, declared that, “he was a well-built, muscular lad and easily passed the recruiting Sergeant”.

Walter was almost certainly a member of the squad of men who had been isolated earlier in the month because of the outbreak of illness (see 21st October). Indeed his brother Edwin had sent home a postcard from Frensham to his mother in Slaidburn (dated 14th October) which suggests that he had not been in contact with his brother for some days (presumably as a result of Walter’s being in isolation).
“Dear Mother
I am just sending you a photo of part of our camp. I am in this lot. Hoping you received my letter the other day if so please send me a parcel have you heard from Walter yet. I am going on alright so far. Please keep this card and then I can look at it if I return. I will send you a photo of myself when I get it. I must close now.

From your son Edwin”
I am most grateful to Margaret Brenchley for the information regarding the postcard and for other information on the Isherwoods and also on other volunteers from Slaidburn.

No comments:

Post a Comment