Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Friday 31 October 2014

Saturday 31st October 1914

Pte. Walter Isherwood, who had died, aged 16, on 27th October whilst in training at Frensham, was buried at St Andrew’s Church in Slaidburn. During the service his elder brother, Edwin, who had volunteered with him in September, was himself taken ill. The Clitheroe Times subsequently reported that Edwin then, “lay in a critical condition for several weeks at home”.

The Rector, Rev. J.C. Garnett, recalled that Walter was given “as far as we could, a military funeral, and the many who attended it did so out of real sympathy... many wreaths were sent”. He remembered Walter as, “a fine lad and a member of my Men’s Bible Class … always bright and cheerful and we are poorer in his death. We can ill afford to lose such. To his loved ones and friends we offer our very deep sympathy. May God bless them and comfort them in their sad hour”.
The grave of Walter Isherwood,
St Andrew's Church, Slaidburn
 
Robert Clement Perks, who would subsequently be commissioned and serve with 10DWR wrote to his sister, Joy, with news of his progress in the Officer Training Corps (OTC) at Merton College, Oxford. Perks was the second son of Mr. T.P. Perks, of Leeds, barrister-at-law, who lived at The Green House, Hebden, near Skipton He was born on 2nd January 1895 and had been educated at Heath Grammar School, Halifax, and was in his second year at Merton. His elder brother, Martin Thomas Perks, of Wadham College, Oxford, would also subsequently apply for a commission, but would be rejected on account of his eyesight.

Merton College, Oxford

31/10/14

My dear Joy

I expect a letter this week.  Martin has arrived now and I hear he secured preferential treatment by unwarranted extravagances in chocolates.

I am still getting up at unearthly hours and going at all other hours to an OTC parade and rowing when possible.

As to rowing I am getting on much better than last year (I ought to of course) and hope I am getting on quite well but I don’t really know.  I am getting very sore and very enthusiastic but I think the OTC will stop me sooner or later.

As to the OTC, we peg along and have lectures on the wonderful things we shall have to do if we get a commission, I am quite frightened at the idea of getting (sic.). This afternoon we suddenly started rushing about in open air – run and chuck yourself down and repeat ad infinitum sort of thing.  I finally spoilt my last grey trousers by ploughing up the ground and carrying it off on me and I also broke all the buttons off. The subsequent two hours drill in front of lady spectators was rather trying.  My hands were by no means in their proper position.

I say getting up at unearthly hours but my rollers are miles behind.  I find it terrifically hard to get up nowadays and have to resort to the dressing gown roller which is not really very sure.  One has to go out arranged as for the bath (this may be done up to 7.54) and ask returning roll-makers (mostly dirty rollers) if “Dicky” is in.  If they say yes one steers for the baths in disappointment; if the answer is “No” forthwith, without more ado a dash is made to the room and with luck one does not meet Dicky Brook on one’s return.  If one does it is a pity (one’s roller goes bang) but it is always worth risking and it gives one 4 mins more bed even than the dirty roller.  As for the clean one – I made attempts at it in a fit of virtue at first but I soon lapsed.

It is awfully cold here especially OTC-ing and it frequently pours on us.

Cheerio

Bob

(I am greatly indebted to Janet Hudson for her kind permission to quote from Bob Perks’ correspondence. It is my pleasure also to credit Janet for her excellent research in helping to clarify Bob Perks’ rather arcane comments about ‘’rollers”. It appears that he was referring to his roll-call for the OTC and his reference to “Dicky Brook” relates to Richard Brook, a tutor at Merton and later a Church of England bishop; see http://www.edwardianpromenade.com/education/an-american-at-oxford-everyday-life/).

 
The Perks brothers (Bob on the left), pictured whilst at Oxford
Image by kind permission of Janet Hudson

No comments:

Post a Comment