Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Thursday 27 February 2020

Saturday 28th February 1920


A/Maj. John Atkinson (see 13th October 1919), who had been released from the Army four months previously, wrote to the War Office regarding pay and allowances due to him; “It is with great great reluctance that I am compelled to write to you about my allowances. I was demobilized on October 13th last and the last month for which I received my allowance was the May prior to that date. I can get no satisfaction from any paymaster and not even a reply from the Command Paymaster, Eastern Command, Kensington, London, although I have written four times, extending over a period of months. I joined the Cheshire Regiment at Ipswich from North Shields, where the West Riding Regiment was stationed, on December 13th 1918 and went with them to the Army of Occupation in Germany. The Battalion was split up there and we became the 1st/4th Cheshire Regiment. From there I was transferred to Western Division HQ as Commandant, Reception Camp, with the temporary rasnk of Major. On August 25th we returned to Rhyl, North Wales, for demobilization. During that period I sent in the usual claims for my allowances but, through some trouble in the Paymaster Department at Cologne, nothing happened. Now the point is how am I to claim these allowances? It is a matter of £50 or £60 which I require urgently. I have sunk all my gratuity in brick works, which are not bringing in any return at the moment and I relied upon this money to keep me during this period. I cannot afford to wait as I am a married man with five children and a wife who is continually in the doctor’s hands.

I might point out that I joined the Army in August 1914 – leaving my job and wasting the best years of my life. I might also point out that I only joined the Army of Occupation on the understanding that I got my majority (hence a bigger gratuity on demobilization) and, although I did the work of second-in-command of my Battalion for several months, and was repeatedly promised the rank of Major, I still remained a Captain when I went to Germany and was brought to Germany under false pretences.

Will you kindly interest yourself on my behalf.”

No comments:

Post a Comment