Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Tuesday 29 August 2017

Wednesday 29th August 1917

Bivouacs and dugouts at Chateau Segard, near the hamlet of Kruistraathoek.

The stormy weather of the previous twenty-four hours continued during the day.


Maj. Edward Borrow (see 22nd August), reflected on the appalling conditions created by the constant rain in a letter home to his wife (I am very grateful to Dr. Bendor Grosvenor for lowing me access to Maj. Borrow's letters),

“… we’ve had marches and counter marches through pouring, drenching rain and this is August! The ground is appalling. I walked about eight miles yesterday and felt done when I got back, and the last mile of it I rode too – on a light railway which happened to be laid in the right direction for me. We use them for bringing up heavy artillery ammunition and stores of all kinds. I had been reconnoitring through country where we lived in trenches last winter. They were trenches then but now they are only shell holes and ditches. Deep dugouts that last year, last February, last March even, held whole Companies of men, were now full of water. The tide of battle had moved on and nobody had had time to keep these places pumped out and in repair. And then I saw tanks lying derelict – come to grief in a marshy bit of ground. Some hit by a shell perhaps and all that I saw were behind our old front line, telling their own stories of failure to get into action. Each of them telling too their own stories of the poignant grief and disgust of their individual crew at their own failure. I thought once of joining the tanks and had dreams of leading battalions of infantry with my rolling ship ploughing through Bosch wire, crushing enemy dugouts, pursuing flying, shrieking Bosch. But, as everyone else at that time had the same desire, I thought it was up to me to stay with the battalion – with what result you know! … The weather is the main trouble – it’s impossible for war – and yet we must keep pushing the Bosch back”.
Maj. Edward Borrow

No comments:

Post a Comment