Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Sunday 9 October 2016

Tuesday 10th October 1916

Billets in Albert

The day passed quietly, with the men resting as much as possible. Each man had a bath and a clean change of clothing. Late in the evening orders were received that, as expected (see 9th October), the Battalion transport would move next day by road. It was also notified that a billeting party of one officer and 4 other ranks would proceed next day by train to Buigny L’Abbe. 
It seems likely that it was in these now much quieter conditions that officers and men began to write letters to the families of those who had been killed or wounded during the recent actions. Extracts from a number of these would appear in the local press over the coming weeks.
The responsibility for writing a number of letters seems to have fallen to CQMS. Frank Stephenson (see 14th September), not only because of the post he held, but also because he had himself been with the Company since its creation and would have known many of the men intimately. It was Stephenson who wrote to the family of Sgt. Arthur Bearpark (see 6th October): “It is now officially reported that Arthur has been killed. He was gallantly leading his men into action when he was shot down and was buried as well as possible in the circumstances. It came as a great blow to me as he was my right hand man since June 1915 and more like a brother than a friend. When he left me to take up the rank of Sergeant, I spoke to him about staying as my clerk when he would not have had to go over the top, but like all good and true Englishmen, he wanted to get on. He was killed instantaneously and suffered no pain, he was one of the best friends a chap could have”. Two other, unnamed, pals, also wrote, “He was killed along with many more comrades. We cannot find words to express our sympathy as he was well liked by all and we all miss him, both as a soldier and a true friend”. At some later date L.Cpl. John Habishaw (see below) composed an obituary:
He left his home in the flower of youth
He looked so strong and brave
I little thought how soon he’d be
Laid in a hero’s grave

I often sit and think of him
And think of how he died
It seemed so hard for us to part
And never say goodbye.


John Habishaw had been one of the other Menston recruits, alongside Bearpark, who had been added to Tunstill’s original volunteers in September 1914. Habishaw had been 19 when enlisting (born 29th November 1894) and, although born in Preston, had been living in Menston and working, with his father, as a gardener.
CQMS Frank Stephenson
Image by kind permission of Henry Bolton
It was Stephenson who wrote to the parents of Sgt. Harry Lyddington Mason (see 8th October); “It is with deep regret that I have to perform the painful duty of informing you that your son Harry was killed in the performance of his duties on Sunday the 8th October, about 8 a.m. It might be little consolation to know that he died instantly without suffering any pain. Harry was one of my greatest friends and most capable of sergeants, also a great favourite with offices and men alike. Sergt. Davis (see 4th October) wishes me to inform you that he will write as soon as he possibly can. They have had a hard time, and he is not quite himself yet”.
Sgt. Harry Lyddington Mason
Sgt. James Davis
Image by kind permission of Henry Bolton

Stephenson had also written to the family of Sgt. John Hartley (see 7th October), as did 2Lt. Philip Morris (see 7th September); “Dear Mrs. Hartley, - I believe Q.M.S. Frank Stephenson has already written to you informing you of the death in action of your son, but as his platoon commander, I should also like to assure you and your family of my deepest sympathy in your sorrow. He died a gallant death in an attack on the German trenches, and we were able to recover his body two days later and bury him on the field. In the short time I have been with the platoon I have found him to be a very good N.C.O., always cheerful and willing, and the Army has lost a good Officer, as I understand he was awaiting a commission. Once again let me assure you of my sympathy”. CSM Billy Oldfield (see 4th October) also wrote, “Dear Mr. and Mrs. Hartley and Minnie, - It almost breaks my heart to have to convey to you the sad news of the death in action of your son, John. In the first place we had to report him as missing, but his body has now been found. He fell along with many others of our Company in a charge we made on the enemy lines on the evening of October 4th, 1916, and really it was a wonder how some of us did get back. His body was found alongside that of Mr. Harris, our company commander. It feels cruel to me to have to write this but I should consider I had failed in my promise to one of the best of friends had I not done so. I saw him a minute before we went over the top of the trench, and he said, "Write and give my love to all at home if anything happens to me." I replied, "All right, John, cheerio." That was the last I saw of him. He fell leading his men, for his body was found on the German parapet, death being instantaneous, being shot through the head with a bullet. His cousin, Second Lieutenant Snowden (son of Mr. Keighley Snowdon, the novelist) (see 8th October) was wounded in the same affair. I can imagine what a sad blow it will be to you, and I repeat, it makes my heart ache to be the bearer of such sad news, but it is my duty. As a friend I found him to be one of the best, always true to his promise, never failing in his duties. He was very popular, both amongst Officers, N.C.O.s, and men, and we all mourned deeply the loss of so popular and efficient an N.C.O. We managed to get his body buried decently as possible under the circumstances, and his personal effects will be forwarded on to you in due course. I trust God will sustain and strengthen you in this sad loss of your only son and brother. I trust you will find some consolation in knowing he died a hero's death, fighting for the glorious cause of Freedom. His last thoughts were of home”.
Sgt. John Hartley
CSM Billy Oldfield
Image by kind permission of Henry Bolton
An (unnamed) officer wrote to the family of Pte. Martin Haran (see 6th October), “It is with very much regret that I am writing to inform you of the death of your son, who was killed in action during a bombing raid. He was well to the front when we were driven back, and again when we advanced he took up his old position. He was a very good soldier, and I had a great respect for the lad. I can assure you we shall greatly feel his loss, and can sympathise with you very much. The company were very sorry indeed to hear of my platoon's loss, and it greatly upset me to hear about it also”.

Image by kind permission of Andy Wade and MenOfWorth
Pte. Ben Butler (see 5th October) wrote to the father of Pte. Anthony Lofthouse (see 6th October), “I am extremely sorry to have to break the news to you. Anthony got killed by a shell in a bombing expedition on October 5th (sic.). I feel very much upset about him. We were good pals, and he was greatly respected by all the lads in the company. I shall miss him very much. I saw him buried and got some of his belongings, so I will see you get them. We have had a rough time of it lately, but are out of the trenches now for a rest."
Pte. Anthony Lofthouse
Pte. George Whitfield (see 6th October) wrote to the mother of Pte. Edwin Isherwood (see 6th October); “I am sure I cannot tell you how hard it is for me to write this letter. Your dear son, Edwin, was one of my best pals, and my greatest sympathy is with you in your loss. We made a bombing raid on the Germans one morning. (I cannot tell you the real date, but it was somewhere about the seventh of this month). The Germans sent us back, and we lost a lot of men. Edwin and I got through all right. But when night came we made another charge, but the enemy sent us back a second time. When morning came, I found that poor Edwin had been struck with shrapnel and killed. A pal and myself put him to rest in a nice little grave close to where he fell. I took a ring off his finger which I will give you when I come home. I also got his pay book and a few other things, but those I lost when I was wounded. This happened the day but one after your son was killed when we were on our way up for the third charge, in which we were successful in driving the Germans out. I was injured in the left thigh and just above the knee, but my wounds are going on remarkably well, though the shrapnel bullet is still in my thigh. Hope to see you soon. Your son was one of the six that left with us from Slaidburn, and of the six there is only one left, C.E. Parker (see 23rd August). Did you know him? He was a gamekeeper from Dunnow. Please accept my sympathy in the loss of your dear son, who was a brave lad, and fought to the last”.
Pte. George Whitfield
Pte. Edwin Isherwood
Sgt. C.E. Parker (standing centre) with other NCOs of 'A' Company
Image by kind permission of Henry Bolton

Pte. George William Fletcher (see 6th October) reported news of the fate of Pte. Frederick George Carlton to his mother (see 6th October); “I am very sorry that it falls to my lot to be the bearer of evil tidings. I am in the same platoon as your son Fred was in. We have been in plenty of scrapping lately. The other day we made a raid on a German trench. We had several casualties, killed, wounded and missing. Your son, Fred, I am sorry to say, was among those missing. None of the lads saw him after we went over, so we cannot say whether he was taken prisoner of war, or whether he was killed or not. We, his mates, send you all our deepest sympathy, and we hope that you, like we are doing, will hope for the best and hope that he is safe. We are all sorry to lose him for he was a good lad, and wherever he may be we must trust in God and hope for the best, and may God's will be done. I have a Bible which Fred picked up out here, and he used to read it very often. I will look after it and if ever I am spared to get home on leave I will let you have it. I live in Keighley and am drummer in the West Riding Regiment. I remain, with deepest sympathy, yours sincerely”.
Pte. Frederick George Carlton
An unidentified man wrote to the family of Pte. Edgar Whitaker (see 6th October); “It is my painful and sorrowful duty to write and inform you of Edgar's death. He was killed by a German bomb on October 4th. I saw him just an hour before, though not to speak to, and he looked splendid, so cheerful and happy. He was a real soldier and died the death of a hero, doing his duty bravely and fearing nothing."
Pte. Edgar Whitaker

Pte. Frank Peel (see 14th September) died of wounds received during the recent actions; he was buried at St. Sever Cemetery, Rouen. Peel had been the sole survivor from a party who had been spotted by the Germans in No-Man’s Land in January (see 13th January), as a result of which 2Lt. Samuel Lawrence Glover (see 8th September), Cpl. Herbert Waddington (see 15th April) and Pte. Albert Edward Lawton (see 1th September) had been killed.

2Lt. Samuel Lawrence Glover

Ptes. William Frederick Ackrill (see 4th October) and William Kershaw (18282) (see 18th September) were discharged from hospital and re-joined the Battalion.

Capt. Adrian O’Donnell Pereira (see 7th October) who had left the Battalion three days earlier, “complaining of exhaustion and loss of nerve” was admitted to no.8 General Hospital, Rouen, diagnosed as suffering from, “slight neurasthenia” (shellshock).
Capt. Adrian O'Donnell Pereira

L.Cpl. James Barker (12288) (see 7th October), who had been wounded three days previously, was evacuated to England from 23rd General Hospital at Etaples, travelling onboard the Hospital Ship Stad Antwerpen; on arrival he would be admitted to the Military Hospital, Sycamore Road, Nottingham. While in hospital his wounds would be treated with ‘iodine baths and fomentations’.

Pte. Ferrand Wilkinson (see 6th October), who had been in England since having suffered severe wounds to his right arm and leg, had his right leg amputated at the St. John VAD Hospital in Cheltenham; his right leg had become septic and gangrenous.

At some point late in the day, Pte. Richard Butler, who had been reported absent from the Regimental Depot at Halifax the previous day, returned to duty (see 9th October). 

Pte. Walter Lee (see 5th July), who had been in England since having been wounded in July, was posted to 83rd Training Reserve Battalion, based at Gateshead.

As concern grew over the fate of Adelaide Benson, sister of the late Pte. Fred Benson (see 8th October), extensive searches of the local area were carried out by a team of local men, despite the weather being ‘extremely wild’. No trace of Adelaide was found. After no trace of her was found, it was decided on Wednesday to drain the Malsis Hall reservoir. Being some fourteen feet deep it would take more than 36 hours for the reservoir to empty.
Pte. Fred Benson







No comments:

Post a Comment