Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Friday 15 July 2016

Sunday 16th July 1916

Molliens-au-Bois

Rest and training continued.
Pte. Bob Harrison (see 19th January) who had been appointed unpaid Lance Corporal in January, was now confirmed in his rank, with pay.
Pte. Harry Smith (12240) was appointed Acting Lance Corporal. He had been an original member of the Battalion, having enlisted in September 1914, aged 19, in Bradford, where he had been working as a labourer.
Cpl. John William Wardman (see 30th April) reported sick, suffering initially from an undiagnosed high temperature (pyrexia – NYD), which would later be attributed to influenza. He would be admitted via 69th Field Ambulance to 23rd Division Rest Station.

Pte. Edward Anderson (see 6th July) was admitted via 69th Field Ambulance to 23rd Division Rest Station, suffering from “I.C.T.” (Inflammation of the connective tissue) to his penis; he would be discharged and re-join the Battalion after six days.

Pte. Walter Charlesworth (see 11th July) who had been wounded five days’ previously, was evacuated to England from 5th General Hospital in Rouen; on arrival in England he would be admitted to St. John’s Hospital in Southport.

Pte. John Henshall (see 11th July) who had been wounded five days’ previously, was evacuated to England; on arrival in England he would be admitted to Edinburgh War Hospital.

Pte. William Postill Taylor (see 10th July) who had been in hospital at Rouen, being treated for shell shock, was evacuated to England onboard the Hospital Ship Carisbroke Castle; on arrival in England he would be transferred to hospital in Liverpool.

2Lt. Bob Perks (see 14th July) wrote home to his Mother, with news of recent events (I am greatly indebted to Janet Hudson for her kind permission to quote from Bob Perks’ letter):
My Dear Mother

I don’t see as long as I don’t mention my regiment etc. why I should not tell you what I can about our week in the push just as the newspaper correspondents may.
On July 3rd then we bivouaced for the third time without coats or anything but waterproof sheets.  This time it was in a wood which had been in the English support line.  Early on the morning of July 5th, we (our Company) were suddenly called up and sent to reinforce a Battalion in our brigade which had been bombed back.  In valuating what we did I want you to remember we had had no breakfast and got no rations til 4pm and then not much. Our C & D Coys were up before us on our right and had hefty bombing fights.  Our A Coy about noon reinforced them and us. 

In the trenches we took over a length of communication trench down which the other regiment had been driven back a short way, the barrier was held by No 6 (not 5) under myself and soon we organised bombing and blocking parties and these, also under me (I have lost my modesty), proceeded up to a junction where, by the dead and the stuff left behind, the other regiment had obviously been driven out.  We proceeded a little way up each branch but had to come back owing to our own shells.  I lost one man sniped and one by shells, but met with no real opposition.  Behind me, Merryweather and others were hit by shells but not seriously. 

While waiting for our guns to lift we saw a most extraordinary sight on our right.  About 40 Bosche with hands up and white flag came across No Man’s Land and gave themselves up in spite of the fact that someone turned a machine gun on them.

About 6pm, before we were ready and when the men were most of them turning to a meal which had just arrived, the guns lifted and the people on our left were seen going over.  I yelled to B Coy to collect bombs and follow and jumped over the barricade, ran down the trench and met 3 Bosche round the corner.    Praise be, they were as surprised as I was.  I fired twice and they ran like hares.  Had they known it, I was alone at the moment but almost at once people arrived with bombs which we threw after them and proceeded.  After this my recollections are by no means complete as we were more or less mad for a bit.   I fired 10 shots and only remember 4.  However I had enough sense to be very careful to leave blocking parties to guard side trenches and dug outs from which we might be taken in the rear.  It was an absolute rout – the Bosche was surprised I think as well as demoralised.  It was really great fun at the time, even the murderous business of chucking bombs into dug outs full of cowering Bosche.  Owing to its being so easy, we went too far or at least farther than we were meant to and came under our own guns.  It was silly to stay and go on losing men there where no reinforcements would come to ward off a counter so we started back.  Then the Bosche started shelling heavily too.  Coming back I came upon Carpenter badly hit and quite dead.

The reaction after our effort was very great and the concussion of a heavy bombardment by both sides at once nearly drove us mad, so it was a worn out and thankful party that bivouacked in the wood again.  Still we were triumphant, for our lowest estimate put B Coys prisoners at 49 and had the Bosche but known it, he could have scuppered his captors easily.  Owing to the disorganised start and the numbers left as blocking parties etc. only about 9 of us took the 49. In fact there were signs of treachery when he realised it.  As a result, one man was shot, one knocked over, many seriously threatened and the whole made to double back by having rapid fire across their rear.

That night was cold and my rest was spoilt also by my seeing the wounded and the trenches in nightmares.   Next day we went back a bit to another bivouac but no sooner was I there than I was sent back on a reconnaissance job and did not get in till 1am.  By this point the strain of not only of carrying on but of our guns which crowded the place out - almost wheel to wheel for miles – deafened you and literally shook you day and night as well brought me to such nerves that a horse sounding on the road made me jump. 

However, I had an absolutely perfect sleep for 4 hours and then at 5am we were off back again.  We occupied miserable trenches with no room to lie down, with rain and with the bully and biscuits only for two nights and three days and then moved into slightly better quarters in holes by the side of a sunken road, where we were still shelled occasionally.

All this time we had been lent to another Brigade as support.  They started from the trenches I have said we took on July 5th and took Contalmaison, but it is not quite clear why they came back.  Now on July 10th we found ourselves returned to our old Brigade who had taken the village with great éclat.  (Vide the Press.)  On the evening of the 10th we went up to a trench in support of them and there met the heaviest shelling of my life.  It was the barrage accompanying a Bosch Counter attack.  Being his own trench once, the Bosche had the range absolutely and the trench was full as we were relieving.  The result I remember now as a nightmare. Everyone must have been hit by a stone at least.  I was.  Many were buried alive, some twice, some were dug out, some not; only about 5 per cent of the wounded could be attended to, and the dead, and, I fear in the dark the badly wounded, were often trodden on.  At first I was busy running up and down for my Coy commander but in the middle of it he was hit and I had to take command. 

Then I got a message to proceed to Contalmaison which we did without much incident.   Also we stayed there and came away without much incident.  I was awfully bucked to find a horse waiting for me on the way back and that night and the next day being very tired, I sat on it very successfully, if I did not ride it.  Now another Captain has arrived and is in command though I have since had to do many things for him, such as write accounts of this operation.

I should like this little dispatch to go the rounds but if it could not be lost, it would form a useful souvenir.  At present I am in a tent and quite rested and I think we are all about ready to go back though we don’t mind seeing the other divisions which have gone through here to the battle.  There was a time when should have wanted to go first but when we came back we frankly had had enough.  I am v. glad to have been in the push, very, but although keen on beating the German, and ending the war and eager to do well again, we are anxious to get a rest first, and hope to return to the Bosche fleeing in the open. 

And you know I believe I shall.  How far back we shall push him I don’t know, but I am confident he is dead beat and the whole line will go back.  We can keep it up.  There are still divisions of ours who haven’t seen fighting for months.  The prisoners haven’t had a rest for months.  Our lot some of them came here for a rest from Verdun poor beggars.  And the Russians! 

I have had lots of letters and parcels from you but really it has been hard work to keep pace with the congratulatory messages from Generals and Parades we had for them to tell us.  Also I have been trying to deal with the dead and missing mens’ effects.

I have had 3 parcels I think including v. bon sausages and magazines which although nearly all have to be left behind, were awfully useful just when wanted for taking my mind and some of the mens’ off the war. Thanks for Teddy’s photo and 2 Halifax papers.

M. (Bob’s younger brother, Martin) mooted the idea of taking Joy to London when I was with him.  I think it excellent especially after exams.

No unfortunately I was not in charge of No 5 at first.  I had to take another platoon though I soon had No 5 as well and eventually all this Coy.   I went back to sigs (the signal section) for a bit but as only so many officers had to go into action, the sigs officer was washed out and but for the request of Carpenter, I should have been left behind.  I shall try not to go back to sigs.  The less shifting now the better.  A pencil is just about necessary and envelopes. 

I have had PCs from Bolland (Lt. Leslie Guy Stewart Bolland, see 21st March) to say he has another month with the probability of another operation.  A letter from Merryweather (still in France) (Lt. Cecil Edward Merryweather, see 13th July) who says contrary to expectations, there is no shrapnel in his wound so that he will be back soon.  Little Redington (2Lt. John Redington, see 6th July) had left the show with a strained inside or something.  He is weak from an appendicitis operation I believe.

Love to all

Bob

Brig. Genl. T.S. Lambert, commanding 69th Brigade, wrote letters home to his wife and eldest son describing the actions of the Brigade during the capture of Contalmaison (see 10th July) and in the previous action around Horseshoe Trench (see 5th July); they clearly show his pride and admiration in the efforts of the men under his command.
(I am greatly indebted to Juliet Lambert for her generosity in allowing me to reproduce the letters here).
My dearest Geraldine

I wish I could tell you more fully of all our doings and of the work of this Brigade. I know how much it would interest you all. Someday perhaps I may be able to tell you the whole story. I truly believe that few more gallant and successful things have been done by the British Army, for an assault over 1200 to 1500 yards of open country through shell holes, wire and trenches to capture a village filled with machine guns and men, through the midst of bursting High Explosives and Shrapnel, was a task rarely attempted and genuinely believed to be almost impossible. But everything is possible to my brave Yorkshiremen and I know how the tale will stir you when you hear it. The capture of the village was of urgent necessity for the Army. What pressure I had to resist to try it prematurely I can say perhaps better than others but I was given strength to resist and to carry out my own plans and none could have been better supported by all ranks than I was. There is luck in war. Some are lucky; some unlucky. I do not know that I have always been among the former. This time perhaps I was, but I think the success was chiefly due to the splendid work done by my battalions and my staff and by our gunners and others who did so much to assist us. The 8th and 9th Yorks were the chief heroes for it was they who had to cross and do the actual assault. How they managed it is a tale worth hearing. The 11th West Yorks had the equally difficult task of assaulting and holding a line on the left so as to wheel to their left and protect that flank and had also to find my reserves which were pushed right up as soon after the assault as I could let them. The 10th West Riding had spent the previous 48 hours in the trenches fighting incessantly, but they gallantly answered my call and went through the enemy’s barrages of artillery fire, in spite of their own exhaustion, to spend the next 36 hours hard at work consolidating the position gained and providing reinforcements for the firing line. They were all splendid. From afar off others – some of them high staff officers – witnessed the work and will speak of it as magnificent. The glamour of it all may perhaps die away in the later successes of others to which it formed the forerunner and example. Nothing can take away from us our own satisfaction and the knowledge that but for our efforts the British Army could not be where it now is – through the German second lines and smashing up all powers of effective defence. I think none of us will forget these days. Things were not looking at their best 48 hours before. Repeated efforts had exhausted many of our troops. My own brigade had but two battalions who had had any rest at all and they but little. After the battle we remained to consolidate the position for 24 hours and were then relieved. That the men held their heads up and that fatigue was momentarily forgotten I need not tell you. Wherever we went we received praise and congratulations and they are pleasant things. We are having a few days rest now to recover our strength and to fill up our ranks again, but I believe in the Brigade and its future. I believe that none has done more gallantly or more nobly and I believe that when our turn comes again, as it soon will, those German devils will recognise us as different from other men and though they will fight like cats as they always have done against us, they will once again and more than once learn what it is to greet a true Yorkshireman in the open. Goodbye dearest and God bless you and the boys. Perhaps dear my thoughts run away with me sometimes but you and I can write freely to one another after all we have gone through.
Ever yours affectionately

Tom

Letter from T.S. Lambert to his eldest son, Ted
We have had a very strenuous time since I last wrote to you. We had a stiff fight on the 5th when we ultimately captured Horseshoe Trench and a lot of prisoners. Then my brigade was relieved by two others but things did not go very well and we were soon called back again. We made our great effort – an attack in the open by daylight across 1200 to 1500 yards of ground on the village of Contalmaison. It is a form of attack which was thought to be almost impracticable in the face of modern guns and machine guns and rifle fire. But my gallant Yorkshiremen went straight for it in open order as I asked them and in spite of machine guns which played on them and an awful shell fire they got right through, surmounted the German trench and barbed wire and fairly hunted the Germans out of the village, killing and capturing large numbers. Of course it was an awful ordeal but we were well backed up by our guns and I had posted machine guns etc. at useful spots beforehand. During the night there were many counterattacks but we succeeded in holding on to what we had gained and since then others have been able to carry on more successfully. After 24 hours there my brigade was relieved and found itself the heroes of the day, receiving congratulations from everyone. But they deserved it for no troops in the world could have done more or been more successful. You will have seen parts of the story perhaps in the papers but they give little idea of what we all went through. Some day perhaps I can tell you stirring tales of it all. We captured a lot of German machine guns and brought out 8 and 2 others from Horseshoe Trench though we left many more I believe in the village.

We have just had some photos taken to celebrate the occasion! I could only get an amateur to do it, so I do not know what the success will be, but I hope they will be good enough to remind us all of these days and to be a record of the honour of the Regiments who fought here under me. I had a lot of work to do of course and had no time to do more than scribble a postcard until long after it was all over, but I have sent mother a short story of it all and I hope she will let you know something of what happened. I am proud of my Yorkshiremen, Ted, and Yorkshire may be proud of them too, for no more gallant fight was ever made. Now we are at rest for a bit, cleaning up and refilling our ranks though happily our casualties were luckily more in wounded than in killed. How long we shall be here of course I do not know. No doubt we shall soon be in the thick of it again but for the present it is nice enough to be clear of all the shells and the horror and the strain of it all.

With best love

Ever your affectionate

Dad



Brig. Genl. Lambert’s account of events between 4th and 11th July were also to be published more widely (though, it should be noted with some, though surprisingly inconsistent, censorship of units and locations). The following extracts are taken from press clippings preserved in an album kept by Geraldine Tunstill. Unfortunately the name of the newspaper and the precise date of publication are not preserved
(I am greatly indebted to Henry Bolton for his kind permission in allowing me to reproduce items from the album).

OFFICER’S WARM PRAISE OF HIS YORKSHIREMEN

The following letter has been received by a Wakefield clergyman from an officer in France:

G. (presumably Geraldine, wife of Brig. Genl. Lambert) will have told you something of our doings I expect and of the story of Horseshoe Trench and Contalmaison. She cannot have told you fully of the glorious work of my gallant Yorkshiremen! We had hard fighting on 5th July, and everyone was congratulating us on the results when we were again pushed into the fight to capture Contalmaison. It was strongly-held village which blocked the way for the Army. Others had tried to take it, and it proved a hard nut! I managed with some difficulty to get time to prepare things. Our guns gave me splendid help, and the brigade did more than I could ever have expected, if that were possible.

We had to advance over the open for 1,200 to 1,500 yards; but the men went though without hesitation in the midst of shells and machine gun fire. They had to finish over barbed wire and a trench under machine gun fire; but the Boches could not face the bayonet or the sight of our men getting near. There was stiff fight in the village, where we destroyed all opposition. How many we killed I do not know, but they were not a few! We took several hundreds of prisoners and took away eight machine guns. We could have found and taken out more, but they are heavy things – some of them are to be sent as trophies to Yorkshire.

My Yorkshiremen were truly splendid! Nothing could have been finer than their advance, and everyone who saw it, even from a distance, says so. We captured the village and consolidated our position there during the night, in spite of counter-attacks next day, and shell fire by day and night. Since our effort the German second line has been broken, and though progress may not yet be very rapid, the Germans are in an uncomfortable place already, and soon will be in a worse one, as we all hope. They are devils to fight, but when they do give in they beg for mercy as pitifully as a kicked puppy! Of course it is a long way yet to Berlin; but if our ammunition supply is kept up, and our men are all as good as mine, we shall see no long winter campaign, in my opinion.



PART OF YORKSHIRE TROOPS IN THE GREAT PUSH

The Lord Mayor of Bradford (Mr. Thomas Howarth) has received from the Brigadier General the following account of the operations of Yorkshire troops in the recent fighting:

 4th July

The day was spent in somewhat complicated operations, chiefly consisting of bomb attacks by the –th and –th, but progress was slow. The enemy fought with skill and determination, constantly counter-attacking. The trenches were much damaged and full of debris, the dead still lying in them everywhere. Shell fire and rifle and machine gun fire were continuous. Difficulty was found in conveying messages, water, food, ammunition and other stores to the places where they were required, very few men being available as guides in the maze of broken ground. Large proportions of the area were a mass of shell craters, through which passages had to be cut or trodden by successive carrying parties.

5th July

At 4am an attack was made by –th and –th but the success was nullified by a heavy counter attack by the enemy, which drove our advanced posts back to their original line. Up to midday little advance had been made. The objective of the brigade was strongly-held by the enemy. During the afternoon parties of the –th and –th gradually pushed back the enemy on our right. On the left the –th continued to gain ground slowly by bombing. The –th who previously had one much work carrying stores etc were now ordered forward to reinforce and gradually relieve the –th, but the latter remained continuously in action during the day. After a long day’s heavy fighting, our artillery fire and the exertions of the infantry began to have their effect. About 5.45 pm over 80 Germans surrendered to the battalion on the right. Almost simultaneously at 6pm a very gallant assault across the open by the –th completed the German demoralisation. Over 100 more wounded prisoners and two machine guns were captured, and the trench occupied. Pushing on patrols and small parties, a further line of trenches was taken, and from here a good view of …… could be obtained. Many acts of individual gallantry occurred during the day. That of an officer may serve as an example (2Lt. Donald Bell, 9th Yorkshires). Seeing that a German machine gun was still in action and was enfilading the whole advance of the –th, at 6pm entirely on his own initiative, followed by a Corporal and a Private, crept towards it and then ran suddenly across the open. The officer shot the German gunner with his revolver and destroyed the remainder of the team and gun with bombs. By this action a critical situation was undoubtedly met. This gallant officer was killed five days later while performing a similar act. During the 4th and 5th of July rain fell heavily turning the surrounding country into a quagmire and making all movement very difficult. The thanks of the Corps and Divisional Commanders were received as a result of the operations of 5th July.

6th July

The troops were relieved, but the greater part found little comfort or rest in the sodden ground in front of the lines of our guns which remained day and night continuously in action.

7th and 8th July

Attacks by other troops went on. Parts of the village were entered more than once but it was still strongly held by the Germans, whose hidden machine guns were difficult to locate or deal with. The capture of the village was a necessity prior to the further operations of the Army. From 7th July onwards one battalion had already been called into the line again to support other troops, and during all this time continued to suffer casualties and much discomfort.

9th July

Ordered to assault and hold a village. Artillery fire was concentrated on the village and approaches to it. Our infantry was to progress through the village, and search out and destroy machine guns or German survivors who did not surrender. The assault had to be preceded by the capture and consolidation of the line. This duty was allotted to part of the –th. The village itself was to be assaulted by waves of infantry, and as no other forming-up place was available this advance had to be carried out in the open over a considerable distance. Some parts of ……. and its neighbourhood had already been seized by other troops who gallantly co-operated. The work of the –th was well done. Several counter-attacks were driven off and in spite of all opposition the left flank of the main advance was made secure with the help of trench mortar batteries and machine guns.

The main assault was delivered by the –th and –th. The enemy’s artillery soon observed the movement. No finer sight had been seen than the advance of those brave Yorkshiremen in quick time across the open and bursting shells and all the machine gun fire that the enemy could bring to bear against them. Some of the trenches were found to be already destroyed. Nearly all were at an angle which necessitated correction of alignment after starting, but there was no hesitation. Officers and men fell into their places, and the long advance went on without a halt. The –th on the left first reached the enemy’s main trench and bursting through the wire, entered the village. The sight of the gleaming bayonets was too much for the enemy, who ran in all directions, only to be shot down by artillery and machine gun fire placed beforehand to flank the village. Over 100 wounded and unwounded prisoners and two machine guns were taken.

On the right the –th had perhaps greater difficulties. Here most of the enemy’s machine guns were located; his barbed wire was found in places almost intact; a valley arced by fire had to be crossed and a further unexpected obstacle was found in a line of wire netting behind the German trench. In spite of all difficulties the gallant –th pushed on and entered the village. It is hardly possible to describe the hand-to-hand fighting in the confusion of a captured village. Many of the enemy fought to the last. Others who had been passed as prisoners in the attack again started firing before they could be collected and these doubtless paid for their temerity. Eight German officers and over 160 men surrendered at once, with six machine guns, of which some were at once turned against the enemy. How many of the enemy were killed it is difficult to estimate, but that large numbers suffered from our machine gun and artillery fire when trying to escape  from the village was clearly seen by our artillery observers and others. 
During the night the position in the captured village was consolidated and reinforcements, ammunition etc was sent up. The first to arrive were two companies of the –th, quickly followed by the –th who, after their long weary days in the trenches, found a full night’s work to be done in strengthening the new defences, but the spirit of victory was with us, and fatigue was for the time forgotten. The thanks of the Army, the Corps and the Divisional Commanders and the congratulations of their comrades in other units made all ranks forget the trials and difficulties of the past.
Yorkshire may well be proud of their representatives of the 10th and 11th July. It is hoped that at least some of the captured machine guns may one day be held in honour at Middlesbrough, Richmond, Bradford and Halifax, where lie the homes of so many who crossed on that day.




No comments:

Post a Comment