Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Thursday 14 January 2016

Saturday 15th January 1916

Front line trenches north of Rue du Bois


The day was generally quiet and by 7 pm the Battalion had been relieved by 12th Durham Light Infantry and marched six miles to divisional reserve billets in Hallobeau. This was part of a relief of the whole of 69th Brigade by 68th Brigade. For the next eleven days the Battalion was to enjoy a well-earned period of rest, which was greatly aided by an improvement in the weather, which remained largely fine and mild. The first week was to be spent at Hallobeau with only routine training and an occasional working party to disturb their rest.


Pte. William Knox (see 13th January) once again wrote to his wife, Ethel (I am most grateful to Rachael Broadhead and family for allowing me access to William’s letters).

“Just a few lines hoping they will find you quite well as I am pleased to say that it leaves me very well at present. I received three letters from you Saturday night, dated 8th, 10th and 12th. I wondered what had happened as I never got one for over a week and then, as soon as I came out of the trenches, I got that lot. We have had an easy time of it this time. We were billeted at an old farm and it was a tumbled down old place and talk about rats. They were awful. You could not sleep for them. I used to fasten my overcoat right over my head so as they would not run over my face. And they were as large as cats. They used to give me the creeps.

You will have to excuse me not writing a very long letter today as we are going to Church this morning and I shan’t have much time. What sort of weather are you having at Manchester? It is very mild here for the time of year but the French people told us that the Winter was ‘nappoo’, which means finished. And I hope it is true as we have plenty to put up without that. Will you send me a pocket knife in your next parcel as I have lost the other one and I am just about lost without one. You will soon be getting tired to death with me as I am always wanting something but I hope to repay you some day and before long too for all you have done for me since I have been out here. Nobody could have done more than you have done Dear and I can tell you I am quite proud of you Love”.

Following his recent appearance before a Medical Board, Maj. Harry Hildyard (see 10th January) was granted an extension of his period of leave to 9th February, with a new Medical Board convened to meet on that date. In the meantime Hildyard would remain at home at ‘The Peak’, Hythe.

No comments:

Post a Comment