Contact details



There seems to be a continuing issue with the 'Comment' feature on the site, so if you do wish to get in touch, you can always make contact via e-mail to greatwarworkshops@gmail.com

Thursday 26 May 2016

Saturday 27th May 1916

Reserve trenches east of Bully Grenay

The weather remained fine and there were continued exchanges of artillery fire, though the day was largely quiet. In the late evening an alarm was raised of a German incursion against 1st Division positions just to the north. The event was reported in the Battalion War Diary: “About 11pm we received S.O.S. from the right Btn.,  1st Bde.,  1st Div. It appears that a number of the enemy were caught in an attempt to reach our trenches. These were smartly dealt with. The number of casualties inflicted upon the enemy is not known. Our artillery kept up a well-regulated bombardment. S.O.S. was withdrawn at 1am 28th inst.”
Four of the new subalterns who had recently arrived in France reported for duty with the Battalion; they were 2Lts. Barker, Brinsley-Richards, Hart (see 24th May) and Lassen (see 18th May). However, 2Lt. George Stuart Hulburd (see 7th May) having been taken ill (details unknown), left the Battalion and returned to England.
L.Cpl. Matthew Best (see 14th May), re-joined the Battalion having spent the previous two weeks at no.4 Stationery Hospital, Arques, where he had been treated for ‘dental caries’.

L.Cpl. Matthew Best
Pte. William Knox (see 25th May) again wrote home to his wife, Ethel (I am most grateful to Rachael Broadhead and family for allowing me access to William’s letters);
“… We are out of the trenches again once more. Came out Friday night (26th) but I cannot say when we go in again … Did you send my books last week as I have not received them? Well Dear we have had a very hot time of it in this as we have been very near to where all the heavy fighting has been this last week. I can tell you we are in the hottest part on our front. We are expecting something doing here very shortly. It has been a rare sight when it has been dark of a night to see the Boshes sending up their flare lights when our heavy artillery opened fire on them. It looked more like a firework display than anything else. But I am afraid our casualties there has been very heavy as it looked impossible for human beings to stand it. I can tell you we shall all be glad out here when it is all over as everybody is absolutely fed up with it. They talk about the Germans being fed up but if they are any worse than us it is God help them. We have just had an order to get battle order ready for tonight but of course we don’t know what for. I hope it is cancelled.

We are in an awful billet where we are now. They are the cellars and the houses are all knocked down to the ground. I can tell you it is an awful sight. I told you in my last letter about them issuing gas helmets out to the French civilians here. Well on Sunday (20th) afternoon they sent gas shells over in galore and I can tell you it was rotten. The first we knew about it was everybody’s eyes were running and couldn’t keep them open so we got orders to put on our gas helmets. And we were stood to all night with them on so we dare not lift them up for a minute or else we should have been gassed. But it made my heart ache to see women with about three little children with their helmets on.  And some with babies not over a couple of months old with them on too. I hope and pray to God none of you at home ever has to witness anything like it.

Well Dear I had a very decent time of it this time in the trenches. I was attached to the Battalion bombers and we were back of the firing line. And we had plenty to eat and plenty to drink this time as we fetched it ourselves. So we took good care to bring plenty with us. …

Before I forget will you get me a knife like that one you sent me as our Captain wants one. He asked me to get him one so if you send it don’t send me any money as I can keep the cost of the knife. I am sending you a few cornflowers. I got them off the parapet of our firing line. It looks lovely in between our line and the Boshes as there are all sorts and colours of flowers. Yes Darling I did send you those violets. I got them on Easter Sunday just close to where I was billeted. We are started coming on pass a bit quicker just. There were two went on Saturday night and two more on Wednesday. I think I come somewhere about ninth or so if they go as we are doing”.


Pte. John Beckwith (see 22nd May) reported at the Regimental Depot in Halifax, having been absent without leave since 22nd.
Pte. Arthur Calvert Tetley, serving with 21st Royal Fusiliers, was posted back to England to begin officer training with no.10 Officer Cadet Battalion at Gailes, Ayrshire; he would later be commissioned and serve with 10DWR. Arthur Tetley, born 28th May 1893 was the eldest son of Calvert Greenwood Tetley, a successful Bradford cotton merchant, dealing in the East India Trade, and his wife, Mary Annie. Arthur had worked in the family business before the war and had also had two years in the Territorial Army. He had enlisted on 6th October 1914 and had gone to France with his Battalion on 14th November 1915.

No comments:

Post a Comment